Unanswered: Recovering the sa user's password from a backup dataserver on different machine

Okay, I have one for you all. I recently started a new job and need to recover the sa user's password for Sybase ASE 11.0.3.3 for Linux from a backup dataserver on a different machine.

I have used select * from syslogins and can see all the users and thier passwords in encrypted format. I have also used bcp and pulled out the sa record in syslogins, but since I can't change the ownership of the master database to delete the sa user and re-import him with the bcp file, what are my options?

Is there some kind of way I can figure out the old password from the encrypted version?

If you add the -p (?) option the the dataserver startup script it resets the sa user's password, not displays it, correct?

I am desparate. I have been working on this for several days.

Thanks.

From what I understand the password is a one-way hash which is uncrackable, so I think you're SOL. Why not just reset it to something you know (using the switch you identified)?
    Thanks,

Matt

I guess we have some old ass Windows .exe buisiness application that some moron hardcoded the sa username and password it to the application and when I changed the password, it broke.

Originally posted by krausem
    I guess we have some old ass Windows .exe buisiness application that some moron hardcoded the sa username and password it to the application and when I changed the password, it broke.
    What if the Communications engineers insert
    a sniffer on your network?

Regards,
    Mariano Corral

That is what I was going to suggest. Put a packet sniffer on your client PC and see (provided it is going over in plaintext) what the password is.

If you're using ODBC there might be driver-level profilers that you can use to see all commands sent over.
    Thanks,

Matt

Or you can simply use RIBO available along with any newer releases of ASE and install this on the client side and check what password is sent across.

Originally posted by willy_and_the_ci
    Or you can simply use RIBO available along with any newer releases of ASE and install this on the client side and check what password is sent across.
    Can you be more specific about this RIBO program? Thanks.

I tried ethereal, but it only captures the password sent to the server in plaintext, it checks it on the server and just sends a message denied.

I tried ethereal, but it only captures the password sent to the server in plaintext, it checks it on the server and just sends a message denied.
    Isn't that what you need? Now you can change the SA password back to whatever the application is sending.
    Thanks,

Matt

Originally posted by MattR
    Isn't that what you need? Now you can change the SA password back to whatever the application is sending.
    No, it only captures the password that I send to the server.

No, it only captures the password that I send to the server.
    That's what you would get with RIBO too. Now you have to use this password on another server and bcp out the encrypted password from syslogins and bcp into your existing server. This assuming that you have a nother valid login that can connect to your 11.0.3 Server.