Question Unanswered: Want to learn access

Hey everybody,

I want to learn access and I wanted to know if anyone could recommend a book that would help me learn how to use Access and create DBs in Access.

I have used Access in the past.

Thanks for the help.

Learning Access

I suggest Microsoft Access97 For Windows for Dummies. It was a great book that quickly and plainly explained the fundamentals. Next, I would recommend Microsoft Access97 - Visual Basic - Step by Step. Very useful. JAH

Re: Want to learn access

I have a "ebook" called "Visual Basic 6 Database How-To" - from Sams publisher. Quite stright to the point concerning access and databases.

Cool thanks, I will take a look at those.

Any other suggestions?

Hi,

I found these books useful:

1) MS Running Access 2000 by John Viescas. It covers everything pretty well except VB programming. The companion CD has the examples and it is often bundled with Fund of Access CD for real beginner jumpstart.

2) For VB programming I found Beginning Access 2000 VBA by Robert Smith and David Sussman, WROX press. It is a little dense and hard to follow in parts, but covers alot of the details of programming with VB/VBA. Has example on website to download.

3) MS Troubleshooting Access Databases by Virginia Andersen. Not a programming book, but covers some of the "odd" problems that happen in Access. Quite often, I have found a quick answer to a simple problem here.

4) For programming, I found Visual Basic 6 in Plain English by Brian Overland and DeBugging Visual Basic by David Jung and Jeff Kent most valuable for beginning programmer like me.

By the way the Visual Basic 6 Database book cited above is excellent if you are programming Access.

Good Luck
    Mark Redlin

Access Books

Get the Sybex books. They're great with good samples!

I want to learn access and I wanted to know if anyone could recommend a book that would help me learn how to use Access and create DBs in Access.

I have used Access in the past.

Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

Hi guiseppewv and "Welcome to the Forum"

1)My personal favorites are Access 2000 Developers Handbook by Ken Getz, Paul Litwin and Mike Gilbert really cheap at www.bookpool.com. Intermediate to Advanced but explained very well and also goes in VBA and SQL. (Sybex)

2)Using Microsoft Access 2000 by Roger Jennings, pretty easy reading and basic to advanced. (Que)

3)And last but not least, the very first book that even got me into Access and very very elementary in terminology is: Microsoft Access/Visual Basic Step by Step by Evan Callahan (Microsoft Press) and he has one for the newer versions of Access (2000). You get the very basics in a very simple manner. Matter of fact I used many of the techniques I learned in this book up until about 2-3 years ago.

Anyway that's my take on it and hope you find something that is good for you.
    Hope you enjoy the Forum
    have a nice one,
    BUD

Error Error
    Last edited by Bud; 12-29-04 at 06:04. Reason: doulbe post...system hang

A good Access book is Sybex's "Microsoft Access [version number] Developer's Handbook."

And some good Access sites for reference are:

The Access Web
    http://www.mvps.org/access

Lebans Table of Contents Page
    http://www.lebans.com/toc.htm
    His examples are often in downloadable databases.

Allen Browne's Tips for Access Users
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~allenbrowne/tips.html

Access Database Tips
    http://www.accessdatabasetips.com

Helen Feddema's Home Page
    http://www.helenfeddema.com
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by guiseppewv
    Any other suggestions?
    Take a class.

No really, it's worth it.

Books are great when used for reference material, but not always the best at correcting poor database design or catching tendencies towards bad habits before they start. Night courses in Access are available just about everywhere I've seen, you can benefit quite a bit by having a real live person you can bounce ideas off and check your work.

I'll have another title for you later today once I get home. I have a pretty good book if you're dead set on going book-only.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    Take a class.

No really, it's worth it.

Books are great when used for reference material, but not always the best at correcting poor database design or catching tendencies towards bad habits before they start. Night courses in Access are available just about everywhere I've seen, you can benefit quite a bit by having a real live person you can bounce ideas off and check your work.

I'll have another title for you later today once I get home. I have a pretty good book if you're dead set on going book-only.
    And there ya go...Teddy puts it there nice and simple. You are so right as I took an evening course at my Community College and cost on $99.99 Books are ok, but you at times need someone there to get instant assistance and the constant communication before you go too far.
    Hats off to ya Teddy....

BUD

Cool

Teach Yourself Access in 21 Days

I found the Access class I took with a live person to be too elementary and not as helpful as I'd hoped. The examples were too simple and clean, not like reality at all.

For help on strategy, I like Smith & Sussman's Beginning Access 2002 VBA. It gives a lot of hints a simple how-to class will not.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaChow
    I found the Access class I took with a live person to be too elementary and not as helpful as I'd hoped. The examples were too simple and clean, not like reality at all.

For help on strategy, I like Smith & Sussman's Beginning Access 2002 VBA. It gives a lot of hints a simple how-to class will not.
    There's always something to be said for the quality of the instructor. Make sure your instructor is one who is willing to go well outside the examples and provide real-world advice. My instructors tended to be hit or miss through various classes. My Access instructor for example was phenominal. He provided TONS of "extra credit" (see: real world exercises) that we could do and get a bunch of feedback on. Conversely my "advanced dba" instructor was always asking me for clarification on some of the stickier topics.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Here's what I have on my bookshelf:

Mastering Visual Basic 6
    Mastering Database Programming with Visual Basic 6
    Visual Basic Language Developer's Handbook
    MS Access 97 Bible
    SQL The Complete Reference
    Access 2002 VBA Handbook
    The Programmer's Guide to SQL
    Prototyping With Visual Basic

How much have I used them? Not hardly ... Sometimes for the SQL ...

Mostly I've hit the help pages and wrote little test snippets ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...