Thread: Vb.Net & Oracle

Question Unanswered: Vb.Net & Oracle

I need to make a connection from Vb.NET to an Oracle 8i or Oracle 9i Database, and I don't know how to do it. I tried using the Data Connection Wizard from the Server Administrator, but it did't show me the tables I had created in that Database.

That is not my prefered way to connect to a database but I don't know how exactly to use the connection string for Oracle. Please help me.

Thank You for your attention.

Well, thank you very much, but I discovered that there are specific data access controls for Oracle in VB .Net. The connection string is pretty simple if you use those. It only needs the Service name, Username and an optional password wich for security it may not be added in the code.

With these controls I can have access to the database with no problem. The only glitch, and confusion was that the server explorer from Vb.net could not read any info from the DB, not even the tables...

Well as any other thing.. nothing is perfect..
    I'm sorry for bothering you, but I hope this may help someoane.

Thanks again!

If your .NET application (client) and oracle db (server) are on two different machines; in order for your client machine to recognize the oracle server you must install Oracle9i Database Release 2 Client for Microsoft Windows 98/2000/NT/XP on your client machine.

Make sure listener is installed and running on your server.

Talking Re: Vb.Net & Oracle

Originally posted by Ice_Crash
    I need to make a connection from Vb.NET to an Oracle 8i or Oracle 9i Database, and I don't know how to do it. I tried using the Data Connection Wizard from the Server Administrator, but it did't show me the tables I had created in that Database.

That is not my prefered way to connect to a database but I don't know how exactly to use the connection string for Oracle. Please help me.

Thank You for your attention.