Unanswered: problems in migrating from db2 udb v 7.2 eee to v8.1

I need to migrate from db2 udb v 7.2 extended enterprise edition to db2 v 8.1 . What are the problems likely to be faced ? And what are the issues of compatiblity with j2ee v 1.3 . Also what are differences between db2 v7.2 eee stored procedure builder and v 8.1 devlopment center ?

Provided Answers: 5
    We are in the process of migrating our databases from 7.2 to 8.1. We are taking a easy route. We are replacing each server with new hardware, so we can install 8.2 on the new server and then just copy the data to the new server. We did not get new hardware for our development servers, but we have two (which are mirrors of each other) to use, so we did these one at a time. We did the secondary first, moved everyone to it for a while, then we did the primary. It worked out real good.

The only thing you will need to know for sure is that you will still need to stay with the 7.2 clients until all the servers have been upgraded.

We have not yet gone to using j2ee, we are still client/server-- so I cannot help you there.

Since we still have a few 7.2 servers, I have not upgraded the client on my primary development client PC, which means that I am still using the SPB. I have installed the DC on my secondary PC to check it out.
    It looks more like an IDE than the SPB. You are also supposed to do alot more with it--UDFs, structured types, triggers, views and more.
    I cannot wait until all our servers are upgraded so I can use it.

HTH

Andy

move and upgrade from 7.2 to db2 8.2 on new hardware

Hello Andy,

We are in process of doing the exact same project. We have new IBM servers and will be moving our current database servers to three new servers. Here is our project plan:

Moving to new hardware:

1. Install DB2 UDB 8.1.2 and fixpaks on new hardware and configure
    disk layouts and filesystems for DB2 and AIX

2. Perform a complete offline backup for currnet DB2 7.2 databases on old servers.

3. FTP over the backup image to the new database servers

4. Perform a redirected restore from old hardware to new hardware
    after install version 8.1.2

5. Take backup of database on new servers

6. Test database connection and environments
    6b. Upgrade DB2 clients to new DB2 8.1.2 clients

Am I missing anything here? Thanks! Should be quite a busy and challenging month to do all three database environments!

-Scott

Re: move and upgrade from 7.2 to db2 8.2 on new hardware

Scott,
    I do not know if you can use a backup image from 7.2 and restore in 8.1. You should test this before you rely on it.

Andy

Originally posted by mixxalot
    Hello Andy,

We are in process of doing the exact same project. We have new IBM servers and will be moving our current database servers to three new servers. Here is our project plan:

Moving to new hardware:

1. Install DB2 UDB 8.1.2 and fixpaks on new hardware and configure
    disk layouts and filesystems for DB2 and AIX

2. Perform a complete offline backup for currnet DB2 7.2 databases on old servers.

3. FTP over the backup image to the new database servers

4. Perform a redirected restore from old hardware to new hardware
    after install version 8.1.2

5. Take backup of database on new servers

6. Test database connection and environments
    6b. Upgrade DB2 clients to new DB2 8.1.2 clients

Am I missing anything here? Thanks! Should be quite a busy and challenging month to do all three database environments!

-Scott

How would you migrate your production EEE database from v7.2 to V8 with the hardware remaining the same.

Read chapter 6 (thoroughly) in the Quick beginnings for DB2 Servers manual.

Andy

Originally posted by koganti
    How would you migrate your production EEE database from v7.2 to V8 with the hardware remaining the same.

possible according to IBM to restore from 7.2 to 8.1.2

Andy,

Spoke with IBM DB2 database engine support this week about performing a redirected restore from one server running DB2 UDB 7.2 on AIX into a new server using DB2 UDB 8.1.2. The engineer said that this is possible. I will test it next week and keep you posted on how it goes. Should make upgrading and migrating the current database environment the best way to do it.

-Scott