Unanswered: Elementary DB Design

I'm trying to create a database that will store both travel and training data. Not all training involves travel, and not all travel is for training. The goal is to have one set of travel expense numbers rather than one set for training travel and one set for non-training travel (as we have now). The expenses for both are budgeted and monitored on a quarterly basis.

If someone would be so kind as to look at the attached design, I'd be very grateful.

My main concern is the direction of the relationships between the Training Details and Travel Details tables and the Event Details table. I plan to make the two smaller tables into subforms of an Event Details form. Will that work, or is there a more efficient way?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Jaycee
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thumbs up Re: Elementary DB Design

Your design looks okay. Now when you make the main form with two subforms, make sure that both the subforms are linked with the main events form through the eventid. This way both subforms will be independent to each other while both will be dependant to the event.

hope it helps

Originally posted by Jaycee
    I'm trying to create a database that will store both travel and training data. Not all training involves travel, and not all travel is for training. The goal is to have one set of travel expense numbers rather than one set for training travel and one set for non-training travel (as we have now). The expenses for both are budgeted and monitored on a quarterly basis.

If someone would be so kind as to look at the attached design, I'd be very grateful.

My main concern is the direction of the relationships between the Training Details and Travel Details tables and the Event Details table. I plan to make the two smaller tables into subforms of an Event Details form. Will that work, or is there a more efficient way?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Jaycee

DB Design

Thanks for your response!

Just to make sure I understand -- the directions of all the relationships are good as shown? If I relate the EventIDs from both the Training Details and Travel Details tables to the EventID in the Event Details table, then create the subforms based on the two smaller tables, the correct link will be formed, right?

Again, thanks much for your help!

Jaycee