Angry Unanswered: Dropping a Table

Folks,
    I see a peculiar problem with the DB2 database..this is regarding deleting or droping of the table.
    I have around 2 lakh plus records in a table and i wanted to clear the table so since truncate command is not there i wanted to delete the data but when i issued that command i got a stupid error saying "The command was process as an sql statement because it was not a valid command line processor command. During SQL processing it returned: SQL0911N The current transaction has been rolled back because of a deadlock or time out. Reason Code "68". SQLSTATE = 40001.
    Im getting the same error when i tired to drop the table both from the command center as well as from the control center..
    Can any of you folks let me know the best way to handle this situation..
    This a ridiculous where u cannot drop the table if u have that bulk set of records..
    I would be happy if some one suggests a diff approach for ths..
    Regards,
    Krishna

Provided Answers: 5
    Krishna,
    Your problem is not the number of records in the table. You are having a lock timeout. That means another process has done something on the table to lock some portion of it. You probably need to prevent everyone else from accessing the table. You can put an exclusive lock on the table before deleting the data.

HTH

Andy

Originally posted by ARWinner
    Krishna,
    Your problem is not the number of records in the table. You are having a lock timeout. That means another process has done something on the table to lock some portion of it. You probably need to prevent everyone else from accessing the table. You can put an exclusive lock on the table before deleting the data.

HTH

Andy
    Hi Andy,
    Can you please let me know how that exclusive lock could be applied before deleting the table?..or deleting the contents.. cause this is a temporary table which i created for my own and no application uses it. and does the delete happen if we lock the table exclusively.. Also please let me know whre the lock timeout could be increased?
    Regards,
    Krishna.

Krishna,
    You did not mention that it was a temporary table in your first post. Could you post the DDL to create the table?

Andy

Originally posted by vaddadik
    Hi Andy,
    Can you please let me know how that exclusive lock could be applied before deleting the table?..or deleting the contents.. cause this is a temporary table which i created for my own and no application uses it. and does the delete happen if we lock the table exclusively.. Also please let me know whre the lock timeout could be increased?
    Regards,
    Krishna.

Krishna,
    You did not mention that it was a temporary table in your first post. Could you post the DDL to create the table?

Andy
    Andy,
    The temporary table that i was mentioning is not in the script but temporary physical table ex : create table temptable (field1 varchar(30));
    Thsi table is created on the userspace1 and it phsically exists in the database.
    Hope this gives better clarity
    Krishna

What about a load replace with no data (or maybe just one row).

Krishna,
    Then it can be accessed by another process. Check to see who has locks on the table.

Andy

Andy,
    The temporary table that i was mentioning is not in the script but temporary physical table ex : create table temptable (field1 varchar(30));
    Thsi table is created on the userspace1 and it phsically exists in the database.
    Hope this gives better clarity
    Krishna

Krishna,
    Then it can be accessed by another process. Check to see who has locks on the table.

Andy
    How to check the locks and remove them..if been locked from either control center or from any other..location?

Krishna,
    You can try this tool to see who has the locks.

http://chuzhoi_files.tripod.com/index.html

Andy

How to check the locks and remove them..if been locked from either control center or from any other..location?

Talking

Krishna,
    You can try this tool to see who has the locks.

http://chuzhoi_files.tripod.com/index.html

Andy
    Hi Andy,
    Thanks a lot for the tool.. its pretty good one..
    Regards,
    Krishna