Question Unanswered: EssBase dimension move

I have an EssBase application that identifies salesperson as a dimension. I need to know how to modify the EssBase database so that I can "move" the data from the old to new salesperson. Here, when a salesperson takes over an account from a departing salesperson, all historical data is also transferred.

Thanks
    Tim Smith
    Sr. Analyst App. Dev
    Advance Magazine Group - Golf Digest
    Wilton CT

Cool Re: EssBase dimension move

Originally posted by tim.smith
    I have an EssBase application that identifies salesperson as a dimension. I need to know how to modify the EssBase database so that I can "move" the data from the old to new salesperson. Here, when a salesperson takes over an account from a departing salesperson, all historical data is also transferred.

Thanks
    Tim Smith
    Sr. Analyst App. Dev
    Advance Magazine Group - Golf Digest
    Wilton CT
    I can see a couple of ways you can achieve this.

1. If the salesman represents a post then you could create the tree so that the actual salesman is a child member of that post. For every change of salesman you have you add another member under that post. The data from all the child members will roll-up into the post and the individual salesman data is kept intact while giving you the history for the post.

2. Create a new Salesman and use calc script using
    DATACOPY oldSalesmanMember TO newSalesmanMember ;

You can now do one of three things.

(i) Clear the data for the oldSalesman member using a fix statement to make sure you only hit the data you want.

(ii) Change the property of the old salesmans member so that it is ignored in the roll-ups.

(iii) Delete the old member

Personally I would use Method 1 as this would keep the audit trail nice. It's not exactly what you ordered but that is what method 2 gives you. At the end of the day think of the amount of disk space and remember the mantra "It's all about the datablock".

Hope this helps.

Richard

aka "Melvin the Paranoid Android"
    Last edited by Melvin; 10-20-03 at 10:13.