Unanswered: loosing field content

Hello !
    I am trying to open pdfs from a database and I managed to do it thanks to this forum. http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=927720

I have at the start of the database a field named "path to folder" where I enter the path to a folder containing the pdfs (e.g. /Users/myuser/pdfs). This field is also defined as "Auto-Enter" with "Value from previous record".
    This will allow me to easily use the database on different computers/users, by just changing this path.

For each database entry I have the possibility to add 20 pdfs. I made a field for each named "name of pdf1", "name of pdf2" etc.. where I enter the exact name with extension of each pdf to open.

For each pdf I have also a field "path to pdf1", "path to pdf2" etc..
    which is the result of a calculation:

"file://" &path to folder & name of pdf1", "file://" &path to folder & name of pdf2" etc...

Then I use the open url script to open "path to pdf1", "path to pdf2" etc... and it works well.

BUT there is a problem: I am actually loosing the content of the field "path to folder" !
    Example:
    Under a new database entry I enter the nane of a new pdf in the "name of pdfx" field, but the "path to pdf" field shows: file://name of pdf instead of file://path to folder/name of pdfx
    The content of the calculation in path to pdf field is as mentionned before: "file://" &path to folder & name of pdf1".
    I really don't understand why, it doesn't take the "path to folder" field into account.

If I go back to the field "path to folder" it is empty. If I quit the database and start again, the database is there again but I still have the same problem.

Can someone help me ?
    Thanks
    Last edited by polopo43; 10-19-03 at 09:17.

Re: loosing field content

Here is a whole new way to acomplish what you might want.

Database has a record for each user or computer.
    A field called 'path to folder' where the path is enterd for each record (user).
    A pull down field called 'name of pdf' where you enter a list of pdf names.
    (that way you have unlimited # of pdf names per record.)

And a calc "file://" &path to folder & name of pdf"

or
    If you want to use your current scinerio...

Try setting up the path field as Auto Enter "Data"
    with the Path typed into this field.

"Value from previous record" does funny things.

Hope this helps

Originally posted by polopo43
    Hello !

I am trying to open pdfs from a database and I managed to do it thanks to this forum. http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=927720

I have at the start of the database a field named "path to folder" where I enter the path to a folder containing the pdfs (e.g. /Users/myuser/pdfs). This field is also defined as "Auto-Enter" with "Value from previous record".
    This will allow me to easily use the database on different computers/users, by just changing this path.

For each database entry I have the possibility to add 20 pdfs. I made a field for each named "name of pdf1", "name of pdf2" etc.. where I enter the exact name with extension of each pdf to open.

For each pdf I have also a field "path to pdf1", "path to pdf2" etc..
    which is the result of a calculation:

"file://" &path to folder & name of pdf1", "file://" &path to folder & name of pdf2" etc...

Then I use the open url script to open "path to pdf1", "path to pdf2" etc... and it works well.

BUT there is a problem: I am actually loosing the content of the field "path to folder" !
    Example:
    Under a new database entry I enter the nane of a new pdf in the "name of pdfx" field, but the "path to pdf" field shows: file://name of pdf instead of file://path to folder/name of pdfx
    The content of the calculation in path to pdf field is as mentionned before: "file://" &path to folder & name of pdf1".
    I really don't understand why, it doesn't take the "path to folder" field into account.

If I go back to the field "path to folder" it is empty. If I quit the database and start again, the database is there again but I still have the same problem.

Can someone help me ?
    Thanks