Unhappy Unanswered: restoring database from ldf and mdf files

Hi all,
    i have a problem because of wrong back up (if it is called a backup). I have only copied the ldf and mdf files of from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data directory and formatted the pc. (no any other backup function/tool). now i installed SQL server and copied the ldf and mdf files to their original directory. As you guess i dont see the databases.
    Can you tell me if i lost these data or not. If there is a way to restore them how can i do it?
    Thank you very much..

Re: restoring database from ldf and mdf files

Originally posted by harunca
    Hi all,
    i have a problem because of wrong back up (if it is called a backup). I have only copied the ldf and mdf files of from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data directory and formatted the pc. (no any other backup function/tool). now i installed SQL server and copied the ldf and mdf files to their original directory. As you guess i dont see the databases.
    Can you tell me if i lost these data or not. If there is a way to restore them how can i do it?
    Thank you very much..
    If you have created the original databse in the MSSQL\Data folder and copied the same back to the new original directory then fine.
    Do one thing.
    Open the SQL Query analyser and connect to the SQL Server and run the below mentioned command :-

EXEC sp_attach_db @dbname = N'DBName',
    @filename1 = N'Path of the MDF file',
    @filename2 = N'Path of the LDF file'

You will get these Databases attached back with the name you have mentioned in the sp_attach_db command.

Hope this one is helpfull..

--Sandu_Bangalore

Smile Re: restoring database from ldf and mdf files

It worked, everything is fine.
    Thank you very much

Originally posted by sandu_bangalore
    If you have created the original databse in the MSSQL\Data folder and copied the same back to the new original directory then fine.
    Do one thing.
    Open the SQL Query analyser and connect to the SQL Server and run the below mentioned command :-

EXEC sp_attach_db @dbname = N'DBName',
    @filename1 = N'Path of the MDF file',
    @filename2 = N'Path of the LDF file'

You will get these Databases attached back with the name you have mentioned in the sp_attach_db command.

Hope this one is helpfull..

--Sandu_Bangalore