Unanswered: Check for end of job

Hi everyone,

I'm quite a newbie to SQL and DTS and I need your help!
    HTe situation:
    I've got an Access97 frontend with an SQL7 backend. On the SQL-server I created a job (to execute a DTS package) which is triggered by a custom-error. From the Access-side I raise this error to start excuting the DTS. I do that this way: execute master..xp_logevent 50001, LOG

This works fine, the job runs and everything, however I need to know when the job has ended. The code that is after this call in Access97 needs to be sure that the DTS-package has finished executing.

How do I do that, please bear in mind that I'm quite a newbie so simple language please

TIA, Raymond

(This post was also done in the SQL Server Forum)

Can you set a flag somewhere that you can read from Access?

What do you mean?

What I mean is set a flag on the backend within SQL Server that will be a sentinel for the Access frontend to know(test for) when the operation is done.

Originally posted by M Owen
    What I mean is set a flag on the backend within SQL Server that will be a sentinel for the Access frontend to know(test for) when the operation is done.
    I think I did it!
    I created extra steps in the jobs which fill a "SUCCES" database which holds a value which can be: 0 = processing, 1 = Succes, 2 = Failure

I test in the access database which is the current value with an interval of 1 minute.