Unanswered: SQL 2000 intermittent errors (MDAC?)

***** MESSAGE UPDATE ******
    If you are the best sql person here... and you dont have a solution...
    I mean if I am wasting my time looking for an answer - please let me know... and I will recode for sql 7.0 which I know will work...
    Times they are a desperate - cheers

I stand here before you today a desperate man.

Microsoft SQL 2000 Server :: MDAC 2.5

Everything is lovely. Oh the sweet harmony of asp applications integrating seamlessly with SQL.

Microsoft SQL 2000 :: MDAC 2.8

Grrrrrrr!!!! Intermittent errors appearing at random accross the entire application.

I now have this application running with 2 different ISP's. Both generating the same errors.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionWrite (send()).

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]General network error. Check your network documentation.

or most common is (and this is my favourite) ...

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionWrite (send()).

The other ISP generates exactly the same errors... except that the [DBNETLIB] is replaced with [Shared Memory]

I have been searching around online and found many many people experiencing the same problems but as yet no solutions...

I have tried named pipes and tcp/ip....
    I have tried dsn and ole-db connections (dsn-less)

The only way this application works reliably is on my offline dev network. Sql 2k MDAC 2.5

I have run all my stored procedures and sql queries through query analiser etc ... and they are all good.

Most frustrating is that this error is intermittent / random.

Any help anyone can give will go towards saving not only my marriage, job and pet fish... but my sanity as well..

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by LFN; 10-20-03 at 11:41.

We have a similar problem.

Multiple versions of MDAC have been released and it is flaky, still. Except our problem is with SQL 2000 and VB.

Truly horrible to troubleshoot. I dont think there is a solution until a major re-release of MDAC.

Any fixes for this ? I am running into the same issue with the 'General Network error ........' and I am getting a lot of flak from the users about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54
    If you haven't updated your software in a couple of years, stop by the Windows Update Page. If you need just a "surgical strike" to resolve problems with a two or three year old MDAC, you could visit the MDAC page.

I have all the latest updates for windows and mdac 2.8 sp1.
    BTW, our application is a VB 6.0 application and our SQL server is SQL Server 2000 on windows 2003. Our application is hosted on Citrix metaframe server 4.0

Biggest change to consider when moving from MDAC 2.5 to anything 2.7 or above is that M$ changed the default connection method from NETBIOS (2.5) to TCP/IP.

Than can mean a LOT of things, not all of them good.

If you are using ADO connection strings, you may want to check out There is a parameter when building a connection string to force NETBIOS or TCP/IP.

In my own experience, I had more issues with 2.5 and better stability with 2.7 RTM or 2.7 SP1. But I realize full well that my experience is not universal and this comment is not intended to slight anyone.

Have you hugged your backup today?