Question Unanswered: Beginner needs help! Master child prob!

Hi, i am new to access and have a problem linking the master/child fields.

My main form consists of a tab strip that has 8 tabs with a subform on each. On each form i have a common field S_REF (student Reference) that is common to all but can't seem to display the data from the tables. If i pull up a form on its own (not via the main form) it does display the data! how do i link them master/childs fields to get the subforms on the main form to display the data?? any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Coopstar; 10-21-03 at 07:30.

In the properties of the subform, did you put s_Ref into both the Link Child Fields and the Link Master Fields properties? They are second and third from the top of the All tab

Question

yip, i have done that already but it doesn't work. Is this because each subform has a different table for itself? as there are multiple tables, which should i put as the record source on the main form?? Of the 8 tables, one has data that already exists! i have only had about 2weeks tuition on access, maybe i am in way over my head?
    Take 'er handy!

Lightbulb Master/child forms

I don't know if this helps, but have you got a field on each of the tables that links to the main table with the s_ref field?

i do! each table has the S_REF and are linked together by this field in my relationships. However most of my relationships are one to one as the project is for a Student Services Fund and each student can only apply once. Would this affect it?
    Take 'er handy!

Thumbs up

I have it sorted!!!!!
    Take 'er handy!

Wink

Excellent!

I was checking whether you needed to have one-to-many's for the tabs to work - how did you solve it?

I kinda took the easy way out and changed my forms so that i didnt have to use the master/child fields! At the moment it works ok, but i still have alot to do! It could still end in tears. LOL
    Take 'er handy!

Talking

Best of Luck!

I think to have the master/child forms working as a tab, the tables need to be linked as one-to-many relationships (try intersection/junction tables to change one-to-one to one-to-many's?)

Just to set the record straight, I have a tabbed master form that links to several sub forms. One of those sub forms has a data source that has a one to one relationship with the master form.

Is there any possibility that you could let me know how you did this? would be appreciated!
    Take 'er handy!

I create all subforms in the same manner:

create the form to be the subform
    create the master form
    either drag and drop or use the subform tool and select from the list to put the subform onto the master
    make sure the link master and link child properties are set

Cheers, i will have a stab at 'er
    Take 'er handy!