Unanswered: User defined report

Hello all,

I am having a little bit of trouble with a report that I would like to create in Access. After going through the forums, figured I would post my question.

I am creating a database for a friend who runs a service garage business. I have created a table and some reports/forms to help him manage his business. Right now I am working on creating a quarterly report. My question is this, can I create a report that would ask him for start and end dates and then generate a report based on that? He is not super techy and is not to the point of being able to create his own queries yet. Any help would be appreciated.

ICM

Smile Re: User defined report

Originally posted by IceBoxMan
    Hello all,

I am having a little bit of trouble with a report that I would like to create in Access. After going through the forums, figured I would post my question.

I am creating a database for a friend who runs a service garage business. I have created a table and some reports/forms to help him manage his business. Right now I am working on creating a quarterly report. My question is this, can I create a report that would ask him for start and end dates and then generate a report based on that? He is not super techy and is not to the point of being able to create his own queries yet. Any help would be appreciated.

ICM
    Sure you can. If you want to keep it simple, you can just create a parameter query that prompts him for the start and end dates. Base the report on the query and shazam, there you are. There are other ways to get the values into the query, such as text boxes on a form that provide the parameters, or you could set the Recordsource for the report to an SQL statement directly.

Lots of options man. Pick your poison. If you wait a a day or so, you'll get several more suggestions from others here.

Have fun.

Gregg

Personally, I like the fields on a form approach. That way I can deliver the user the messages I know she/he will understand rather than Enter Parameter Value input boxes supplied by Access. In doing so, you have several choices of how to get the ball rolling. It all depends on how much work the programmer does and how much data has to be gathered. It seems like there will be fewer than 10,000 records, so just have a print button on the form that will take the StartDate and EndDate and pass them as a filter to the report.

If you want to get fancy....
    If the start date is blank then don't add it to the filter
    if the end date is blank, then don't add it to the filter
    if both are blank, then run the full report