Unanswered: DBNETLIB general network error

Hello,

We have a problem on one of our databases: sporadically all XP machines remotelly connected to that database -which is the haviest one- all of them are dropped and at the next request the egt an error:"[DBNETLIB]general network error", it does not happen to win 98 machines or to clients connecting to other databases on the same Mssql server. I have a feeling that it is Mssql connectivity installed that is cauing it but I do not see any option to uninstall it.
    Please help!!!

Im finding lots of problems on any SQL machines running MDAC 2.8

As far as I can see the whole world is screaming...

Dont wish to scare you... but check your MDAC version... if its 2.8 I would say expect problems.... and if you find any solutions.... please let me know

Im still searching for myself... I will of course post anything I find

LFN

where do I check the version?
    Originally posted by LFN
    Im finding lots of problems on any SQL machines running MDAC 2.8

As far as I can see the whole world is screaming...

Dont wish to scare you... but check your MDAC version... if its 2.8 I would say expect problems.... and if you find any solutions.... please let me know

Im still searching for myself... I will of course post anything I find

LFN

ok - most importantly understand i am not an expert on this issue. Check everything

I have transferred my application back to an sql 7.0 server and everything is working 100%... also works 100% on SQL 2000 with mdac 2.5

... im not sure how to get mdac version... there is a SELECT @@version command in sql - but i dont know if it returns mdac...

Im using asp and I simply did a conn.version statement.... and as its the connection that seems to be causing the problems I reccommend you get the properties from the connection. Im not sure if the iis or the sql server mdac is returned... tho some say different mdac versions on the two can cause problems.

I cant be 100% that this is your problem... but everywhere i look im finding people having trouble with sql 2k sp3 mdac 2.8

In the registry, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DataAccess,
    there are string values called FullInstallVer and Version. One or both contain the MDAC version number; not sure what the difference is. My machine has the same value for both (2.80.1022.3).

Rather accessing the registry if you're not aware of that, better to get COMCHECK tool from MS which will return complete information if any discrepancies listed.

Ensure similar netlib protocols are enabled between the clients and server.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]