Thread: linux 'n mysql

Unanswered: linux 'n mysql

hi,
    i've jus' installed mysql on linux 9.0 'n i can access mysql if i login as root only.I want to access it as a normal user also. what so i do abt it?
    Also, how can i get the mysql server to run automatically when i log into linux? 'coz everytime i've to start the mysql service 'n inspite of selecting the save option it doesn't start the service next time i log-in...this question is moreover a linux one i can rather than mysql related.
    thanx in advance.
    Pooja

Re: linux 'n mysql

i've jus' installed mysql on linux 9.0 'n i can access mysql if i login as root only.I want to access it as a normal user also. what so i do abt it?
    Also, how can i get the mysql server to run automatically when i log into linux? 'coz everytime i've to start the mysql service 'n inspite of selecting the save option it doesn't start the service next time i log-in...this question is moreover a linux one i can rather than mysql related.
    thanx in advance.
    Pooja
    I suggest that you refer to the tutorials and FAQs at the MySQL website. MySQL is initialized with one root-user and no password; you take it from there. My installation of MySQL came with a lot of tutorials on its own.

The mysqld service ought to start when you boot the computer and be running all the time, not "when you log in." Different Linuxes set this up different ways. (The Unix term is "daemon" not "service" but anyway...)
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Which distribution of linux?

Mandrake 9? Redhat 9? Slackware 9?

Cool Re: linux 'n mysql

Originally posted by poojajt
    hi,
    thanx in advance.
    Pooja
    Hi Pooja,

Try this
    login as root ,start mysql
    at mysql prompt grant appropriate privilege for the user login

eg: GRANT ALL ON username@localhost
    eg :GRANT ALL ON *@*
    check the syntax in manual ..

From the Control center if you are using KDE(or equivalent in GNOME)

find system--->startup-->services

iam not sure about the menus!!!

in the services select the chech box for MYSQL so that it starts by default when system boots...
    all the best..

Bye

Re: linux 'n mysql

thanx a lot Anup for ur help......well I've tried starting the services in the similar way but as a matter of fact it doesn't start the service when it boots everytime I had to manually check the box again...but nevermind I jus' installed the Mysql all over agin 'n now it works fine 'n when I checked the box it jus' starts all by itself whenever the sys boots.
    And thanx the privilege works too now...
    Pooja

Originally posted by db4anoop
    Hi Pooja,

Try this
    login as root ,start mysql
    at mysql prompt grant appropriate privilege for the user login

eg: GRANT ALL ON username@localhost
    eg :GRANT ALL ON *@*
    check the syntax in manual ..

From the Control center if you are using KDE(or equivalent in GNOME)

find system--->startup-->services

iam not sure about the menus!!!

in the services select the chech box for MYSQL so that it starts by default when system boots...
    all the best..

Bye