Question Unanswered: Which to learn first...SQL or VB

First off I would like to compliment the people on this forum...I searched through various forums but this one seems to have a surplus of people who are more than willing to give concise friendly answers.

I have a whopping week of access experience so please forgive me if some of my assumptions are a little goofy and my access lingo very limited. I am just trying to get a direction of what I need to learn.
    I am putting together a database for a friends construction company since I am more computer literate than he, so you will probably be seeing my user name pop up quite a bit.

Just to let you know I have put in a little research by reading(more like browsing) the access 2002 bible and the ms access programming (to much vb for me)
    I found that the wizards are nice but far from capable of doing anything even fairly complex.

For Example
    I have a table of subcontractors. Certain contractors can do more than one thing, i.e. rough lumber and finish lumber. so I created individual check box fields in the table for each type of possible job that the contractor can do. Now I want to have a combo box on a form that will show the list of jobs (trade) and when a job is selected from the combo box a query or filter is executed that shows me me all the subcontractors that do that job or trade...a relationship of one job to many subcontractors. I know I know ...very basic, but stuff like this is just having its way with me.

And now for my question.... I want to get this thing up and running as soon as possible...I see that a user can use sql language or vb...for something like the aforementioned example what would be the way to go...sql(expressions?) or vb. I have a feeling that it can be done in both but for right now I would like to know which is the easiest one to learn and implement.

Thanks
    Last edited by slacker73; 10-21-03 at 17:18.

to avoid a certain headache as your system expands, I would suggest you create a table called jobs and a table called SubContractorJobs which holds which jobs a subcontractor can do. This way you will not have to change your table structure each time new jobs get added.

Create 1 queries:
    include the Jobs and the SubContractorJobs tables and make the following columns show up along the bottom: SubContractorCode, JobCode, JobDescription

Create 3 forms:
    A Job List where the job code and description are added, edited or deleted

A form based on your new query showing only the jobs and the other two fields hidden

A form based on the SubContractor table.

Drag the second form from the database window onto the Subcontractor form and a subform will be created. Make sure the Master and Child link properties are both the Subcontractor Code field.

Now that, my friend, was a fast response...I was still making changes to my post...

Thank you for the databse design input ...definatly something that I am still learning as well.

What are your feelings on my sql vs. vb question? I am starting to lean towards sql as the syntax of the language seems a little more comprehendible
    Last edited by slacker73; 10-21-03 at 17:33.

learn how to make queries first (sql) then add in the vba functionality as you need new features that you can't implement any other way. You will soon know when to use which.

sql it is

my friend gave me an ebook on it so I will read up on it...next time I have a question I will have some sql code(if that is how you refer to it) to reference to

thanks