Unanswered: Win2K MySql Service Won't Start

I'm trying to get MySql 4.0.15 to start on a Win2K Professional machine as a service and I'm getting an error 1067: The process terminated Unexpectedly. Based on the documentation I've tried opening a command prompt and going to the mysql/bin directory and starting mysql with: mysqld --console which worked but I just can't get it to start as a service. Searching with Google I found a number of messages about this error but they mostly seemed to pertain to previous versions. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- Chris

Re: Win2K MySql Service Won't Start

Originally posted by Chris LeFebvre
    I'm trying to get MySql 4.0.15 to start on a Win2K Professional machine as a service and I'm getting an error 1067: The process terminated Unexpectedly. Based on the documentation I've tried opening a command prompt and going to the mysql/bin directory and starting mysql with: mysqld --console which worked but I just can't get it to start as a service. Searching with Google I found a number of messages about this error but they mostly seemed to pertain to previous versions.
    How about the Windows event-log viewer. Usually when a program dies it leaves a message in the error log.

My first-blush guess is a permission problem.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Win2K MySql Service Won't Start

The event log just rehashed the same info that popped up when I tried to start the service: Category: None Type: Error Event ID: 7031 The MySql service terminated unexpectedly, it has done this x times. The following action will be taken in 0ms: No Action

This generated no MySql.Err log

Just to try and rule out a permission problem I edited the properties of the service and it was set to start using the local system account (the same as all other services) but I tried changing this to the local administrator account and then starting the service and I got the same error. I checked file permissions on the MySql directory and both the local system and administrator have full rights.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

- Chris