Thread: Blank form

Unanswered: Blank form

I designed my form to open blank when it loads. I have a field (AppDate) which I set it's Required property to True. The problem I'm having is that when I try to close the form without entering any data, I get a message saying: The field 'tblName.AppDate' cannot contain a Null value because the Required property for this field is set to True. Enter value in this field.

Thanks in advance for your help!

OCM

By setting the required default to YES it will force you enter a value. thats what its designed to do. If u dont want this to occur, simply set it to NO.

You may want to use an alternative way to do this to remind users that they havent filled in a field. There are several ways to do this by using code.

You can insert some code to force users to enter a value in the field before they save or exit.

You could also set the default value, say to today's date in the properties of the AppDate field:

=Date()

Sudbury hit the nail on the head with his suggestion.

Blank form

The reason I can't use =Date () for AppDate field is that it is the date application was received and can be any day.

Thanks,
    OCM

You can either get the user to enter the date or before entering the form, get the user to set the Current Working Date (global variable or an opening argument that you create) which could default to the system date to make sure it is not null. The second option is more restrictive though.

I sometimes create hidden unbound fields to store information from record to record. As the user enters one record and sets the date, I save that date to the hidden field. When the user starts the next record, I automatically set the date to the value in the hidden field. IF the user changes the date, the hidden field will be updated manually by the program again.