Unanswered: migrating from oracle 8.1.6 to 9.2 as backup/recovery?

I am a beginner Oracle DBA, sorry if the question is stupid. If I want to migrate a DB from 8.1.6 to 9.2 can I use a backup/recovery process? Why can't I do a hot backup of the old database and then recover it in the new database? It would be so much faster then export/import?

Thank you.

You can't do that because they have different headers on the files. At least I don't think you can do that. Oracle is designed in such a way that user or DBA does not have to touch the data files at all.

I am not sure if this is how you would do it but the only way I can think of is to export/import the data. Backup recovery is a whole different process.

I thought there is a tool to help you move from 8.x to 9.x. Also, if you are going to switch make sure your database is compatable with 9.x

Thanks, Seraph.

There is a good chance that I am wrong as well. I have done some work on 8i and I am taking classes for 9i certification so there is a good chance that I am wrong here. I just design databases so I am just learning as well but from the concepts, it seems like you can't migrate from 8x to 9x by just doing a backup/recovery. Make sure you backup your 8x before you do that move though.

I think if it was possible i would find something about this option in the Oracle Books Online or somewhere else. My main concern is that export/import will take very long time, and if it fails, i'll have to repeat it.
    And there is no direct upgrade from 8.1.6 to 9.2.

I found, however, the following:

"To move or copy a set of tablespaces, you must make the tablespaces read-only, copy the datafiles of these tablespaces, and use export/import to move the database information (metadata) stored in the data dictionary. Both the datafiles and the metadata export file must be copied to the target database. The transport of these files can be done using any facility for copying flat files, such as the operating system copying facility, ftp, or publishing on CDs"

Looks like the combination of the export/import and ftping the datafiles can speed up the process significantly.