Unanswered: DBMS_PIPE.RECIEVE_MESSAGE time out parameter

Hi All,
    I am using the DBMS_PIPE.RECIEVE_MESSAGE function in a loop to recieve messages from a pipe.I am opening four sessions at the same time with the same username and passwd, I am sendind messages in one of the sessions and concurrently running other three processes to recieve from the pipe.Sending and recieving process are started at the same time. The sending process takes 10 hours to complete.But after some time all the recieving processes return with value "timed out".
    I have set a time out value of 10 mins and the recieving process if finds no message in the pipe should check for new messages after 10 mins. At that time the senderprocess puts around 18000 messages in the pipe
    but unfortunately the recieving process terminates with return value "timed out".
    So what exactly is the problem and ossible remedy ?
    Thanks and regards,
    Sandy..

hi,

there's no problem for DBMS_PIPE. It's a normal exception saying there are no messages in the pipe to retrieve. problem sounds like u send messages in pipe a, then listen on pipe b and get a timeout ?

Hope this helps.
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

HI

Hi,
    I am recieving to the same pipe only.
    i send to pipe A and recieve from pipe A.
    However while receiving i am running 3 processes concurrently.
    Sending process takes 10 hours. Istart recieving operations 8 hours later than starting the sending operation.I send thru 1 process only. If the time out is set to 10 mins then any process unble to find a msg in pipe should wait for 10 mins then go back to check and if theres a msg this time around then it should continue , but the problem is that its coming back after 10 mins even though the sending process is still continuing.
    Hope u get my point.
    Txs and rgds
    Sandy..

hi,

i get the feeling u interpreted the timeout parameter wrong. Setting the timeout parameter to 10 minutes means that it will try for ten minutes and when it finds no messages within that 10 minutes the process is aborted saying there's no more messages to retrieve.
    Or do u use another process to start listening again ?

Greetz
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst