Thread: Table limits???

Unanswered: Table limits???

I have a table with 400 fields, all of which are yes/no or memo. When I try and save the table it gives an error message (3309) saying that ' you are trying to set a property value of an object tio a size greater than the permissable limit of 2k', I have inclued captions for each field also.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? It doesnt even specify what property the problem is with.

Hi

A table with 400 fields is more than any database like MS Access will handle. Try dividing your table into more smaller tables.

Regards,

interesting!

i have often wondered about this problem: an experiment was on the "one of these days" list but i never got around to it.

i don't see any record size restriction in A's specifications, but...

A's record locking strategy is to lock a 2k "page" around the record being edited. ??what is the strategy for a single record of more than 2k. apparently err#3309 is mr gates' strategy!!!

memo-field size should not be a problem (memo stores only a pointer if i remember correctly: i forget the byte-cost), tho the number of memos (hence number of pointers) per record could be a problem if you exaggerate.

yes/no could eventually be stored bitwise in a byte/int/long which should reduce the yes/no content record size by a factor of 16 (bools are 16bit) at the expense of some extra processing.

izy

izy,

So even Access 2000 and 2002 STILL have the page locking crap? My docs for 2002 say that that version does actual row level locking not the "in the neighborhood" locking of yore ...

it all depends on whether you obeyed mr gates directive to move to ADO or (like me) you stayed with DAO.

i'm DAO/a2k: and it's a 2k page lock. record-level locking might be the trigger that gets me into ADO!

see:
    ms kb 306435

izy

izy,

Hmmmm ... I'm probably safe then ... I only use ADO. I think it's even the ODBC driver because all of my connections are thru a DSN (which I think uses ODBC) ... So no Jet here ...