Unanswered: migrating from older version of mysql to newer version

Hi All,
    I am new to MySql. I know its an open source database and newer versions keep on coming. Currently I am trying to set up a database in mysql for my company. What I want to know is, if in future, I want to shift to a newer version, how can I do so? I mean I want to keep my data and structure intact as it is from my previsou version. Is there any way of doing that meaning copying data and structure to newer versions? I would really appreicate anybody helping me on this. Cheers.

Re: migrating from older version of mysql to newer version

Originally posted by Prathmesh
    Hi All,
    I am new to MySql. I know its an open source database and newer versions keep on coming. Currently I am trying to set up a database in mysql for my company. What I want to know is, if in future, I want to shift to a newer version, how can I do so? I mean I want to keep my data and structure intact as it is from my previsou version. Is there any way of doing that meaning copying data and structure to newer versions? I would really appreicate anybody helping me on this. Cheers.
    There is not any problem.
    Just install the new version of mysql and copy all file located in data directory to the new version (I mean copy on system level).
    start up the database and voila quick migration is done.
    I am doing that this way without any problems.

tks Ika,
    Good to hear that what I considered as an issue can be resolved easily for different versions of mySql. I will try to do what you suggested with different versions of mysql and get back if I face any probs. Tks buddy. cheers.

[i]Good to hear that what I considered as an issue can be resolved easily for different versions of mySql.
    What, do you think this is Microsoft or something?

I mean, whoever heard of file-formats that weren't backward compatible, new versions that couldn't exist with older ones... who could possibly sell a system like that?

ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com