Unanswered: Question about compiling

Hello to all,i would like to know,after making an application with MsAccess,how and what i need to "compile" or make an exe file for to be able to use my MsAccess application in a pc without MsAccess installed into.
    I had a look to something called "MsAccess 97 Developer....." but,sincerely i did not understand nothing about how it works.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards,Claudio.

You don't need to do anything ... All that is needed is the Access runtime and the appropriate MDAC installed ...

Questio 2

You said :
    "You don't need to do anything ... All that is needed is the Access runtime and the appropriate MDAC installed ..."

Please,excuse my ignorance,what it is MDAC ???
    How can i buy all this youve say ?

Thanks,Claudio.

Re: Question about compiling

[i]
    Hello to all,i would like to know,after making an application with MsAccess,how and what i need to "compile" or make an exe file for to be able to use my MsAccess application in a pc without MsAccess installed into.
    I had a look to something called "MsAccess 97 Developer....." but,sincerely i did not understand nothing about how it works.
    "Creating an EXE from Access" is somewhat of a misnomer since what you're really doing -- ALL you're really doing -- is removing source-code, "and for what."

To run the program, the user still "has to have MSAccess installed," even if he doesn't know it. Many megabytes of DLLs make up Access and they all still have to be there. Your "EXE" is really only a stub-routine that invokes those DLLs.

My advice is, "it's rarely worth it." It can cause boat loads of problems on installation; conflicts with what they already have and trouble if they don't have anything ... all of which becomes tech-support expense to you and probably more enough to wipe out your profit-margin. (And "profit" is what it's supposed to be about, remember?)

Mark my words: If your app is written in Access, have 'em buy Access to run it.
    Last edited by sundialsvcs; 10-22-03 at 12:26.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

I used the developers tools' setup wizard to create a setup program that would install the Access runtime, any needed dll's and ocx files, and my mde and my icon to their system. My users like this since they don't want to have to buy a license of access for the 10 machines running my front end database. I send them updates to the mde as needed.

an mde is smaller than its mdb and on a runtime system you cannot see the code anyway.

Question 3

Well,with your opinions i think i understood a few things.
    The first thing its maybe better to say is that the application im working in its for my own little businness.

You said :
    "I used the developers tools' setup wizard to create a setup program that would install the Access runtime, any needed dll's and ocx files, and my mde and my icon to their system"

I would like to learn how to do it in step-by-step way,so if you have a literature or docs from where to learn i would really appreciate.
    In other hands,i would like to know what kind of tools i need and the aprox. cost.

Its a pity that i cant "compile" in a exe file my app.

It would be nice to know if there is another visual-object programming language from wich i could make my application , i mean my MsAccess app. with reports,forms,code etc etc.with an exe file maker option.

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,Claudio.

In Access97, I installed the developer tools and one that was available was Setup Wizard.

You could use VB to make your application, but reports are more difficult and some use Crystal reports rather than make their own generator.

Question 4

Let me see if i understood:
    if i use MsAccess 97 Developer tool i must create a setup
    and Crystal Report ok ?
    After all that can i use my app.in a pc without MsOffice at all ?

I mean a pc with Windows 98SE only installed ?

And in the end,i have MsOffice 97 student licenced (from my daughter school) do you think i could use it in a little businness level ?

Again many thanks,im almost there.......

Regards,Claudio.

You have two options:

1. Use the developer tools to create a setup program to run it on another computer to install your Access front end database and the runtime files so it will work without office installed

2. Use VB as the front end instead and use Crystal Reports as the report generator.