Unanswered: Paradox DOS conversion to what?

I have a large system to convert and really don't have any idea which direction to go. I definitely need to get into a Windows platform but hate giving up the speed of the DOS system. If I am going to invest time into learning a new platform and converting a system which has over one hundred thousand lines of 4.5 code, I want to select a decent direction. This is multi-user (needs to handle 65-80 users in various components simultaneously). Internet interface is ultimately important - we are currently porting select data every 15 minutes to SQL for that purpose. From a security standpoint, I don't mind doing that. I just need some ideas and issues to think about to start. I would aprpeciate your input.

Re: Paradox DOS conversion to what?

If I am going to invest time into learning a new platform and converting a system which has over one hundred thousand lines of 4.5 code, I want to select a decent direction. This is multi-user (needs to handle 65-80 users in various components simultaneously). Internet interface is ultimately important - we are currently porting select data every 15 minutes to SQL for that purpose. From a security standpoint, I don't mind doing that. I just need some ideas and issues to think about to start. I would appreciate your input.
    Perhaps you should consider re-doing the application targeting a web-page style interface for everything. Many good SQL-style database engines such as the one which is now running your web-page can effortlessly handle both the data volume and the user volume you anticipate. The idea is that if you've got a public web-interface project already started, maybe a second private interface could be run on an in-house-only server.

The "100,000 lines of Paradox for DOS code" won't really be "converted" anyhow. What you'll be doing is mining it for an understanding of what exactly it does to the data.

Ordinarily I would suggest Paradox for Windows. However you aren't really limited to that choice because it's pretty clear that your data's going SQL, and once you do that your choices are wide-open.

"Speed" is usually obtained at a considerable price of lots of code-writing. I think you'd like to find a way to get a speedy interface this time, without that.

A functional analysis of the system ought to be the first step, no matter how well you know the system intuitively. I suggest that you formally map out the data structures, the flow between screens as users perform various tasks, and the changes which are made to the data with each task. That'll start giving you some objective, rather than seat-o-de-pants, information about just how this project should move forward.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com