Unanswered: Loading into table is very slow !!

Hello All,

I am trying to load 34mb file into table and it's very slow.
    I thought it was b'coz of fragmentation, even after removing fragmentation it's very slow.
    How can i make it fast, we have to load the huge data in many tables for testing purpose.

Suggets me.

Thanks,
    PD

Re: Loading into table is very slow !!

I am trying to load 34mb file into table and it's very slow.
    I thought it was b'coz of fragmentation, even after removing fragmentation it's very slow.
    How can i make it fast, we have to load the huge data in many tables for testing purpose.

34 megabytes is not a lot of data. If you're experiencing bad performance loading it, try disabling or dropping all of the indexes .. then load the data .. then turn the indexes back on.

When a database "rebuilds an index from scratch," it can do so efficiently by sorting the data and building the index from the sorted data. Very fast. What is extremely slow is doing 34 megabytes' worth of index updates, one at a time.

It's also a good idea to do the update as a series of small transactions, say every 1000 records or so, so that the computer doesn't plan to be able to "roll back" 34 megs' worth of data... a process that would produce a huge rollback file for absolutely no good reason.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Hello Sundialsvcs,

Thank you.
    I guess i have under-estimated the sizes of data files i am loading.
    It's 421463718 bytes.

It is a datamart kind of database and doesn't have any index and any constraints for that matter.
    Thought External table would be a good idea and it happened so very fast with the same for loading. But when i trying to load the data with joins again it's slowing down the complete process.

Now, i don't have nay solution for the same.
    Yes, i tried with spliting files in several files and it went thru' faster than with one file.

Regards,
    PD

Have you tried the High Performance Loader?
    rws

Hello rws,

Thank you.
    I am afraid i have no idea about High Performance loader, where can i find the info about the same?

I will give a try when i read/know more about it.

Regards,
    PD