Unanswered: send object oddity

I am trying to put the send object function in a macro to send a report. If i leave the to coloumn variable blank it will open a new e mail with all of the report data in it and then I have to fill in the info. This will complete succesfully. If I put in a name in the field it errors out like it cant resolve the name. I am using outlook at work. I put in the name just like I would when I send an e mail normaly. There must be a setting/option that I am missing. Can anyone help?
    Jim

I am just guessing since I don't know what the error message is, but what happens when you put the email address in quotes.

Originally posted by jmrSudbury
    I am just guessing since I don't know what the error message is, but what happens when you put the email address in quotes.

Here is the odd thing. the error just says cant find name
    and another odd thing if you put the exact same name in the CC section it will open outlook and wait for you to hit the send button....odd
    Jim

This is odd. I tried it here and with Corel Suite 8 installed, it needed Messenger, so it is not letting anything go through without setting up a Microsoft Mail server. Another computer her with WinMe can send only if the to address is not filled in. Netscape launches no matter what, but the message will be sent only if the To fields is blank. And of course, the Help file is of no use. Sigh. I hope this is not just another "feature" that does not work. I have had to create more workarounds.... </EndRant>

What version of Access are you using? I am using 97 and will try in 2002 within the hour...

This is odd. I tried it here and with Corel Suite 8 installed, it needed Messenger, so it is not letting anything go through without setting up a Microsoft Mail server. Another computer her with WinMe can send only if the to address is not filled in. Netscape launches no matter what, but the message will be sent only if the To fields is blank. And of course, the Help file is of no use. Sigh. I hope this is not just another "feature" that does not work. I have had to create more workarounds.... </EndRant>

What version of Access are you using? I am using 97 and will try in 2002 within the hour...
    we are runing xp here...guessing thats 2002. Running xp outlook as well
    Jim

Using Access2002 on Win2000 with Outlook Express as the default, specifying the To email address and running the macro sent the report without opening outlook express. (The fact that the horizontal lines on the report were not saved would be the subject of another post topic...)

Now to find out why it does not work in 97. I don't want to upgrade all my users to Access2002 because that would slow them down. Sigh.

Using Access2002 on Win2000 with Outlook Express as the default, specifying the To email address and running the macro sent the report without opening outlook express. (The fact that the horizontal lines on the report were not saved would be the subject of another post topic...)

Now to find out why it does not work in 97. I don't want to upgrade all my users to Access2002 because that would slow them down. Sigh.
    when you put in your name in the to field...how did you enter it exactly?
    Jim

name@place.ca

I did not use quotes. I am going to try on a Winxp system soon...
    What operating system version do you have

name@place.ca

I did not use quotes. I am going to try on a Winxp system soon...
    What operating system version do you have
    the os is win2k with the office version of xp
    we entered the name:Mike, James just as you would in outlook.
    how did you do yours?
    jim

"name@place.ca" without the quotes

"name@place.ca" without the quotes
    That worked like a charm
    thanx
    Jim

check out this page for using the outlook address book nicknames:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;161088