Question Unanswered: How do you Kill All Processes in a Database?

I want to schedule a DTS package that copies a database from one server to another. However, the copy fails if there are any active connections in the source database. I can MANUALLY go in and kill all each process in the database, but I want to automatically kill all of the processes in a TSQL statement. I know there is a KILL {spid | UOW} [WITH STATUSONLY] statement, but then how would you find each spid to kill?

Isn't there an easy way to "kick out" all users who have a connection to the database without killing each process?

Thanks...

declare @str varchar(8000)
    set @str=''
    select @str=@str+'kill '+cast(spid as varchar)+char(13)+char(10)+'go'++char(13)+char(10)
    from master..sysprocesses where dbid=id_your_db
    exec(@str)

check if exists any alive process and repeat if needs...

Thanks Snail! I actually was thinking along those lines as well...just thought there would be a system stored procedure for doing this. In any event, You can loop through all processes in a database and kill them like this where the database is named paentry:

declare @name varchar(255)
    declare @id int
    declare @str varchar(255)

declare spid_cursor cursor

for

SELECT master.dbo.sysdatabases.name,
    master.dbo.sysprocesses.spid

FROM master.dbo.sysdatabases INNER JOIN
    master.dbo.sysprocesses ON master.dbo.sysdatabases.dbid = master.dbo.sysprocesses.dbid
    WHERE (master.dbo.sysdatabases.name = N'paentry')

open spid_cursor

fetch next from spid_cursor into @name,@id
    while @@fetch_status=0
    begin
    --print @id
    select @str = 'kill ' + cast(@id as varchar(6))
    print @str
    execute(@str)
    fetch next from spid_cursor into @name,@id
    end

close spid_cursor
    deallocate spid_cursor

Provided Answers: 1
    I suggest you put this in a stored procedure called spPissOffEndUsers().

blindman

OR

sp_F%^KYouALL Heheh .. make sure you eliminate your own spid from that select though

I was only half joking. You run this process halfway through someone's lengthy UPDATE query and you could be in rollback for hours. I just wouldn't run a process like this to begin with. Clear the users out manually, or put the database in a restricted use mode.

blindman

Originally posted by blindman
    I was only half joking. You run this process halfway through someone's lengthy UPDATE query and you could be in rollback for hours. I just wouldn't run a process like this to begin with. Clear the users out manually, or put the database in a restricted use mode.

blindman
    I need to automate the refreshing of a test database. I would run this at 3:00 in the morning where it is virtually impossible that anyone would even be actively doing anything in either the test or the production databases...

Make sure it doesn't overlap any nightly processing or backups. Those are the big jobs that could screw up a database if they are interupted.

blindman

Originally posted by blindman
    Make sure it doesn't overlap any nightly processing or backups. Those are the big jobs that could screw up a database if they are interupted.

blindman
    Thanks for your help! Appreciated.