Unanswered: Enforcing Upper Case

Hi,

Is there a way of ensuring that each first letter for a column is in Upper Case. E.g. customer first and last names will be converted in upper case when entered in lower. I know in access this can be done in the table design. I have looked in books online and it show only upper or lower in the transformations tab.

Many thanks,

Mark

Provided Answers: 1
    You could use a trigger that changes the value after it is entered, or you could restrict entry by putting a constraint on that requires:
    ASCII([YourString]) = ASCII(UPPER([YourString]))

blindman

Hi,

Would that mean that the first letter of the string would be in upper case or do i need to add something else. Many thanks

Originally posted by blindman
    You could use a trigger that changes the value after it is entered, or you could restrict entry by putting a constraint on that requires:
    ASCII([YourString]) = ASCII(UPPER([YourString]))

blindman

Provided Answers: 1
    ASCII accepts a multi-character string, but only operates on the first character.

blindman

Being new to sql server, could you give me an example. Where you have 'your string' in brackets what does this refer to. I need to make a constraint on the whole column. An imput mask in Access talk.
    Thanks

Thanks

Originally posted by blindman
    ASCII accepts a multi-character string, but only operates on the first character.

blindman

You could also have a trigger on insert:

Update [table]
    set [columnname] = UPPER(Left([columnname],1) + Right([columnname], Len(columnname) - 1))
    where Left([columnname],1) <> UPPER(Left([columnname],1)

i think this task better fits your front-end, since, if i undertsand it correctly, it's a data entry form you're describing. i don't think burdening your db with this trivial thing is a good idea.

Yes, I think you are right with the front end issue.

Many thanks,

Mark

Originally posted by ms_sql_dba
    i think this task better fits your front-end, since, if i undertsand it correctly, it's a data entry form you're describing. i don't think burdening your db with this trivial thing is a good idea.