Red face Unanswered: ASCII <=> EBCDIC Conversion

Hello

I am developing an ASP application that gets data from a DB2 database on an AS/400. For speed reasons I want to use Sockets to communicate, but this means converting between ASCII and EBCDIC (including packed decimal fields).

Can anyone help with that?

Thanks
    James

Re: ASCII <=> EBCDIC Conversion

[i]
    I am developing an ASP application that gets data from a DB2 database on an AS/400. For speed reasons I want to use Sockets to communicate, but this means converting between ASCII and EBCDIC (including packed decimal fields).
    My response is... (so to speak)... "I challenge you to prove to {boss} that 'speed reasons' and all this apparent hassle will be cost justifiable." If an easier albeit slower method exists then I suggest that you should essentially prove that it is absolutely impossible for you not to use it. Basically, "if it's gonna cost me $10,000 worth of your time to get the job done vs. only $5,000 then which one's the better b-u-s-i-n-e-s-s case?" Come up with that justification and get it approved by someone before you proceed. Not because you have to but because I think it'll yield a better decision.
    Last edited by sundialsvcs; 10-22-03 at 23:26.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com