Angry Unanswered: SQLServerAgent & Replication Schedule...

Hi,

We've just installed three Win2000 Servers with SQL in London and Mumbai, India. Mumbai is housing the production machine and thus needs to push replication to the other two servers.

Replication works wonderfully if kicked off manually, but when I try to schedule the replication and check the next day nothing has happened (no errors and the logs don't reveal much information).

At the end of each business day the Operators stop SQL to do an Arcserve backup, then restart SQL and associated services. I've noticed the SQLServerAgent does not start up automatically depsite setting it to "automatic".

So I guess my questions are two fold: How do I ensure the SQLServerAgent runs at all times (for example can I configure it to startup when SQL startsup?) and why is replication not running at all, totally ignoring the schedule I've set (once daily at 11:30pm).

Thanks!

Blatch.

Re: SQLServerAgent & Replication Schedule...

I realise they are many posts regarding SQLServerAgents and Replication, but I really can't work this one out. No error messages, and SQLServerAgent is on automatic startup. Either there is a gremlin or SQL hates me. Or both.

Re: SQLServerAgent & Replication Schedule...

Sometimes EM gives you incorrect information as far as SQL Agent startup option. Go to the Services under Computer Management and find SQL Agent Service. Make sure it is Automatic. If not, change it Automatic and it will be next time when you restart SQL. You can also resolve this problem by rebuild your SQL registry with SQL installation CD.

Regarding the Replication Schedule, make sure it is the enabled box is checked. Especially the enabled box under scheduler. Good luck!