Question Unanswered: How Do I Export ALL Data from a Progress Database?

I am have been put in charge of extracting data from a Progress Database. I have never used Progress or heard of it until now. I am an amateur at SQL Server and Access databases.

I need to know how to export ALL of the data from the Progress database. It runs on Windows 2000 within a DOS window. I check the version and I am running "PROGRESS PATCH Version 9.1c11 as of November 8th, 2001"

Any examples or references how to accomplish this would be very appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: How Do I Export ALL Data from a Progress Database?

Perhaps I can help you, but I need more information.
    There are many forms to do this; you can use a jdbc driver to read the progress database and export the data to your destiny, or export the data in a text (comma separeted) format.
    Or you can export the data from Progress instead.
    What kind of your database target?
    How big is your Progress database?
    Do you have the Progress administration (I think so...)?

Export from Progress

I was wondering if you had any success with your export from Progress. I have a similar task facing me, except mine is a little more complicated. The Progress database I must export resides on a SCO Unix machine. I'm not real good with Unix, but if I can just get the database to export all tables to a CSV file, I should be OK.

Any suggestions?

Stu

Reply to rivens@pjm.com

Hi

In both cases here, you haven't stated where you want to export your Data to. Will it be to another database or are you looking at using a text file.

In the case where you mention SQLServer or Access, if this will be the destination, you simply need an ODBC driver to connect you to the database and both these applications provide mechanisms to retrieve data. In the second instance, is CSV really what you to use or would you like to store this somewhere else.

Regards
    Emmon Simbo
    http://www.openlinksw.com

TEXT FILE Export

I do not know if ODBC is installed on the machine with the Progress Database, so I think my preference is to use CSV files.

Does a Progress table have a file extension (like *.DBF) and how do I locate all the tables on the machine? How do I fire up the DUMP utility to export a table and parameters is it expecting?

Question Progress DB Migration

Hi all
    I want to migrate the progress db from linux server to SQL server 2005 or 2008
    But the problem for me it is difficult to found ODBC driver, I download the driver from openlink but the problem there is many options I have to fill some of them I know some of them I have no idea about what they mean.

anybody can help on this task or to export all table to CSV, Excel, Text file format and if the export is accomplished successfully I can import them using SSIS packges.

Please help.

Progress db conversion

Any luck on this conversion ??

Quote Originally Posted by Elmozamil View Post
    Hi all
    I want to migrate the progress db from linux server to SQL server 2005 or 2008
    But the problem for me it is difficult to found ODBC driver, I download the driver from openlink but the problem there is many options I have to fill some of them I know some of them I have no idea about what they mean.

anybody can help on this task or to export all table to CSV, Excel, Text file format and if the export is accomplished successfully I can import them using SSIS packges.

Please help.

Smile Yes

Hi,
    I finally found the answer I used Access (and I think Export/Import wizard can help).
    Please find the details and step by step in the following link:
    http : // elmozamil . blogspot . com/2012/04/progress-db-migration.html

Elmozamil Elamir
    MyBolg
    Last edited by Elmozamil; 04-19-12 at 05:01.