Unanswered: Connecting via Internet to an SQL-Server

Hi everyone, i created a web site in ASP with a connection to an Sql-Server database. All of this is on a web server. I made an administration site in parallel to put in soime new article but i need more. I need to be able to communicate with Sql-Server from my office with a VB 6 application. I don't have any problem with a lan connection over our network to test my app but and don't have any idea how to easily connect the remote database who lives outside the network.

Ghislain Tanguay

Re: Connecting via Internet to an SQL-Server

I created a web site in ASP with a connection to an Sql-Server database. ... I don't have any idea how to easily connect the remote database who lives outside the network.
    There are several ways to do it. If your firewall and so forth will permit the traffic to go through, you can connect to any server if you know its IP-address.

But you should never use an un-encrypted connection when the Internet is your channel! SSL tunneling, Virtual Private Networking (VPN), and so-forth will provide a reasonably secure communications vehicle for your traffic. You'll find info on these topics at support.microsoft.com or msdn.microsoft.com.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Child's play. The server name is the IP Address or URL. Also, your database has to support SQL Server authentication: Where you can get away with not specifying a User ID and Password on your network, you're going to have to specify one on the 'net.

ServerName: 256.256.256.256 or MyServer.Domain.Com.
    Password: "XXXXXXXX"
    UserID: "XXXXXXXXX"

It wouldn't hurt to change the default port to something other than 1433: Sql Server is a high risk on that port.
    I love animals. They're delicious.

Re: Connecting via Internet to an SQL-Server

You can use the Client Network Utility as well.

Go To Client Network Utility. Go to Alias Tab.
    Click on ADD. Provide a Alias Name, and the Server IP address or the URL as Server Name under the Connection Parameters Section. (Netowrk Libraries can be Named Pipes)

Thats it. When you go to Enterprise Manager, you can register that server by its Alias name.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Dipayan Sarkar
    (dipayan@covisible.com)
    (CoVisible Solutions - A Knowledge Management Software company)