Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unanswered: Table Design (96 Columns Vs 9 Columns)

Hi,
    I have a requirement of creating a table which has data for 12 months in 8 fields. eg:- Jan-F1, Jan-F2, Jan-F3...Dec-F8. So, a total of 96 columns. I'm looking at alternative approaches.
    How does it compare to creating the same table but with 8 columns F1 to F8 and a month column. So, a total of 9 columns.

All of the fields are of numeric type.

There would be 10,000 records in the first case.But, If I convert it into the second case, it would be 10,000 * 12 = 120,000 records. So, any thoughts on which design to choose ???

Case 1:
    Fields---> JanF1,JanF2, JanF3.....DecF8 (96 Cols)
    Records: 10,000

Case 2:
    Fields---->Month, F1, F2, F3....F8
    Records: 10,000*12 = 120,000

Thanks in Advance
    ~ HK

you can even get away with just 3 columns: F, M, V, where F will indicate whether it's F1, F2...or F8, M for month, and V for the value corresponding to F and Month. the real question is what's the intended usage of the table? the usage will dictate the structure.

Provided Answers: 1
    You desperately need to read up on the subject of data normalization before you risk creating reports and applications around a database crippled with a poorly designed schema.

Option 2 is the way to go.

blindman

That results in total records of 120,000 * 8 = 960,000
    The intended usage is a report based on some search criteria.

Originally posted by blindman
    You desperately need to read up on the subject of data normalization before you risk creating reports and applications around a database crippled with a poorly designed schema.

Option 2 is the way to go.

blindman
    Actually, the table is a dump from a 3 dimensional cube. That's the reason it has got so many fields. I'm trying to cnvert it into a relational table.

that's what i thought, so you don't "desparately" need what blindman suggests

Originally posted by ms_sql_dba
    that's what i thought, so you don't "desparately" need what blindman suggests
    So, what do I do ???
    I believe it should be either 96 Columns or it should be a 3 Colums with 960,000 records.

I'm still undecided about it.

Ult. it depends on your reporting needs, but on the surface I'm all for Blindman's suggestion. The biggest reason is that should the number of F's change, your design is still valid.

My 2 cents

Sure he does. Whatever the format the data is in at the moment, he is trying to convert it to a relational table, and from his original post he seems foggy on the principles of normalization.

Again, Option 2 is going to give you the best flexibility and performance, and make for easier coding.

Do NOT go with the 3 column method. I think ms_sql_dba was just trying to make a point about different options available.

blindman

Originally posted by hkamatgi
    Actually, the table is a dump from a 3 dimensional cube. That's the reason it has got so many fields. I'm trying to cnvert it into a relational table.
    The cube is built by a relational database (Usually)...

What's the source of the Cube?

Why not get the data from there...
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

well, the cube has probably created the agregates of the original data from relational database, so if you go after the actual source you'll have to re-do what the cube has already done for you. in this case (now that we know almost everything about this particular situation) i'd rather prefer to have 12 tables one for each month with fields F1 through F8 and a unionized view on top, if needed. the reports probably should be based on stored procedures, if not functions (prefer the latter).
    Last edited by ms_sql_dba; 10-24-03 at 13:18.

12 tables one for each month with fields F1 through F8?

If database design was a religion, we be in a holy war right now.

Infidel!

blindman

i guess you're missing the point...again. this is not oltp!

ok osama, calm down

...but it is only 120,000 rows! A pittance to the Almighty SQLServer!

Thou shalt not needlessly partition tables just to join them together later in UNION queries!

So sayeth the prophet blindman.

poobah-poobah...let me know when you hit your first terrabyte, i know you'll talk differently. and you're not there yet to be called a prophet. and speak english!