Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Altering the number of rows in continuous forms

I have looked everywhere but can not find out how to alter the number of rows being displayed in a continuous form. Can someone please help?

What do you mean? Alter? What are you trying to do?

I have created a pop-up continuous subform which currently only shows 2 rows at a time (you have to scroll down to see the rest). I have another continuous subform in another database which displays five rows at a time. I assume there is some setting you can change to alter the number of rows being shown at one time? Altering the 'Detail' sections hight has no affect.

Ahhhh ... I see ... Try this: Open your form in design view. Expand the design window and save. Run your form ...

Altering the size of the header/detail/footer sections in design mode has no affect on the number of rows shown when entering data. Increasing the size of the detail section of the form (where the fields are shown) simply expands the section shown for each row, it doesn't increase the number of rows shown.

There must be a way to change this, since this continuous form I am making is showing only 2 rows, yet another continuous form in another database I designed shows 5 rows.

Expanding the size of the subform in the design view of theparent form will cause it to display more rows.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

But the subform is a pop-up form, it isn't embeded within a parent form.

Have a look at this file: http://www.btinternet.com/~bcass.home/db1.mdb

You will notice that each form has no subform within it (since it is a subform that opens as a pop-up itself). fsubGrades shows multiple rows, yet fsubPartDetails does not (it shows only 2 rows). Does anyone know why?

a pop-up is not a subform!

but similar advice holds: the displayed form will fill the design window height ...whatever is not used by the header/footer (you fix the size of these in design view) will be used for the detail rows

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Originally posted by izyrider but similar advice holds: the displayed form will fill the design window height ...whatever is not used by the header/footer (you fix the size of these in design view) will be used for the detail rows
    So, increasing the size of the 'Detail' section of the form in design view will show more rows? Except it doesn't, at least not in fsubPartDetails in the example I posted. By increasing the size of the Detail section, white space is simply shown, but not more rows. Would you mind downloading my example and having a look? This has been driving me mad all day.

NO
    keep the header/detail/footer as SMALL as possible, but the heiight of the window as BIG as possible.

...small details rows in a big window ?????

izy

OK, I've just solved the problem. The only way to get the form to display more rows was to first make the Border Style sizable, then in form view mode (not design view) resize the frame manually. Access remembers the size, but this doesn't seem to be stored anywhere in the design settings tabs. This new form size also isn't reflected anywhere is design view. Thanks for your help anyway.

and in case that wasn't clear, you want the whole of your design-view header/detail/footer MUCH smaller (height) than the design window.

the header/footer size is fixed (by you at design time (unless you play clever code games)). the rest of the window-space is taken up with as many detail rows as can fit.

izy

yes - design view works

...and in most cases it's you the programmer who should be dictating window sizes, not the foolish user: personally i do not allow sizeable - ever!

izy

final thought for the day.

depending on version, access ignores design edits to a form that only resize the holding window: solution is to edit something else as well(anything!) on the form, and save.

design-view really can determine the number of rows displayed in continuous forms.

happy weekend.

izy

Originally posted by izyrider
    yes - design view works

...and in most cases it's you the programmer who should be dictating window sizes, not the foolish user: personally i do not allow sizeable - ever!

izy
    Yes, I changed the Border Style back to dialog once I'd manually resized. I understand that for single forms your design area does affect your window area, but not the case with continuous forms. When the form is continous, the area determined in design mode only determines the size of a single record. This has been bugging me for absolutely ages, I can't beleive I just stumbled on the answer...