Unanswered: HELP!!! I NEED INFORMATION FOR MY A level COURSEWORK

hello. for my a level coursework i am designing a small database of 5 worksheets on Excel. However, i must put across reasons on why i chose excel over access. could someone please give me some reasons why excel would be more appropriate for me, instead of access??? thanks

toby

Re: HELP!!! I NEED INFORMATION FOR MY A level COURSEWORK

If you are designing a true database then you should have used Access. You have actually design a number of spreadsheets containing data.
    Using Excel
    - users may be able to manipulate the data better by cutiing and pasting, without the need for database training
    - facilities such as autofilter need no programming
    - additional columns can be used by users as calualted columns
    - Users can create their own charts as required

BUT beware as significant features will be missing if it is a databse such as referential integrity (unless the user cannot change the data) and you risk a user corrupting the excel data if you allow too much control

There is one significant area where I am creating a 'databse' in Excel and that is where we do not allow end users to have the Access application. This is a corporate reason rather than anything else that could be avaoided by using a runtime Access. However there is a special instance in a thin Client environment where if a run time is created, all 'known' users must be set up with access rights to the runtime application. If the users are not known then ALL users will get access or it will have to revert (in our case) to Excel where we do allow all users to run the Excel application. This latter example is possibly too complex for 'A' level but it is a significant business/technical reason in our envoronment. Unless you have a full unerstanding of true thin Client as in Citrx or equivalent I suggest that you leave this one out.

Cool thank you

thanks alot mate. i appreciate your help!

hav ya dun da as cwork if so can ya giv sum help PLAESE!!!!!

can you give me some ideas on what to write for the design of my AS cwork i really need sum help THANX!