Unanswered: mySQl performance

Hi,
    Since, I am new to Database world, I would like you all to forgive my ignornace and pls pour in your sguuestions and help. thanks in advance!

Objective: To set up a machine ( desktop ) to run a Database ( like SQL Server / Oracle / mySQL ...etctec ) which can log incoming data, that grows to the size of 10MB of Textual Data Files ( each file is about 2Kb) at the end of a single day.
    Number of Fields in the Table = 15 (Max).

The Machine that I have: Deaktop PC running,
    Win 2k / XP
    Processor: 1Ghz Pentium
    Ram: 1GB;
    Hdisk: 40GB

Is this enough ? We are planning on buying a RAID disk to back up data. How is that going to affect the choice of Database we are going to use ? Do we really need a RAID ? or a fast SCSI disk ?

Thanks,

Provided Answers: 1

Re: mySQl performance

Originally posted by deepakram
    Hi,
    Since, I am new to Database world, I would like you all to forgive my ignornace and pls pour in your sguuestions and help. thanks in advance!

Objective: To set up a machine ( desktop ) to run a Database ( like SQL Server / Oracle / mySQL ...etctec ) which can log incoming data, that grows to the size of 10MB of Textual Data Files ( each file is about 2Kb) at the end of a single day.
    Number of Fields in the Table = 15 (Max).

The Machine that I have: Deaktop PC running,
    Win 2k / XP
    Processor: 1Ghz Pentium
    Ram: 1GB;
    Hdisk: 40GB

Is this enough ? We are planning on buying a RAID disk to back up data. How is that going to affect the choice of Database we are going to use ? Do we really need a RAID ? or a fast SCSI disk ?

Thanks,
    If enough for MySQL but Oracle takes HUGE amounts of resources... DB2 and SQL Server are ressource hungry too but not as bad as Oracle... MySQL would fly with 1Gb RAM.

For disks, it all depends on how much performance you need... How many concurrent connections are you planning to have? Are you going to do mostly SELECTs or it's going to be a mix of INSERTs/UPDATEs/DELETEs. Are you planning on using fulltext search? Is all that data inserted in on single batch? Can you give more details on the app (is it a web app) ?

Our application logs over 1M rows a day with MySQL on a Dual Xeon, 1.5G RAM and MySQL is still very fast with loadavg is at an acceptable level. The order you need for MySQL (or even DBs in general): RAM, disk, CPU. Aside all that however is your application queries and the design of DB, probably the first and most important element.

I run MySQL fine on a similar setup to yours. Check some tips on the net.