Unanswered: Image Inserting and Viewing!

Hi,
    I am facing difficulty in the following area of image insertion:
    When I say img scr="//servername/folder/xyz.jpg" and open the html file I see the image file namely xyz.jpg....but when I try to open the file through the internet...the image is not SEEN! Some of the other files that access the same image source file when viewed shows the image, but some of them DO NOT!!!!! please HELP!!!!
    Thanks

Re: Image Inserting and Viewing!

Originally posted by dba1977
    Hi,
    I am facing difficulty in the following area of image insertion:
    When I say img scr="//servername/folder/xyz.jpg" and open the html file I see the image file namely xyz.jpg....but when I try to open the file through the internet...the image is not SEEN! Some of the other files that access the same image source file when viewed shows the image, but some of them DO NOT!!!!! please HELP!!!!
    Thanks
    This is HTML not ASP. You have to remember that "servername" is not resolvable on the Internet. You can see it because it's either your computer's name or on your network. When you point to a file on the Internet (if you want to fully qualify it) you must use "http://" and then the fully qualified address of the server (such as "www.mysite.com"). Just the servername is not enough on the Internet. You may not need to fully qualify it if the object exists on the same domain as the web page. Then you can use an absolute path (/folder1/folder1/file.jpg) or relative path (images/pic.jpg). Absolute paths are referenced from the root of the website where relative paths are referenced from the location of the page on the website.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Re: Image Inserting and Viewing!

Thanks!
    Originally posted by Seppuku
    This is HTML not ASP. You have to remember that "servername" is not resolvable on the Internet. You can see it because it's either your computer's name or on your network. When you point to a file on the Internet (if you want to fully qualify it) you must use "http://" and then the fully qualified address of the server (such as "www.mysite.com"). Just the servername is not enough on the Internet. You may not need to fully qualify it if the object exists on the same domain as the web page. Then you can use an absolute path (/folder1/folder1/file.jpg) or relative path (images/pic.jpg). Absolute paths are referenced from the root of the website where relative paths are referenced from the location of the page on the website.