Unanswered: Scripts and Databases

Hi,

I want to write a Unix script to prompt the user for inputs, then perform two SQL routines (check one of the inputs is valid against a database, then batch update the DB incorporating the inputs).

I am pretty new to Unix scripting so only have experience of getting inputs and manipulating strings. I have no idea on how to query and update databases from the scripts, so any help would be appreciated (eg. starting points or tutorials etc)

Thanks.

Re: Scripts and Databases

Here's a beginning for your script, hope this will help you.

echo "My Question ?\c"
    read response

sql_response=`sqlplus -s $ORACLE_LOGIN/$ORACLE_PWD@$ORACLE_ALIAS @my_batch.sql $response`

if [ "$sql_response" = ....

Originally posted by sweevo
    Hi,

I want to write a Unix script to prompt the user for inputs, then perform two SQL routines (check one of the inputs is valid against a database, then batch update the DB incorporating the inputs).

I am pretty new to Unix scripting so only have experience of getting inputs and manipulating strings. I have no idea on how to query and update databases from the scripts, so any help would be appreciated (eg. starting points or tutorials etc)

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for that - though sorry, I should have said it's an Ingres DB I'm working with. Are the fundamentals the same?

Cheers

Hi,
    i do no know ingres db but i think the fondamentals are the same;
    be careful of the output of "sqlplus" to store correctly the result in the variable sql-response

Originally posted by sweevo
    Hi,

Thanks for that - though sorry, I should have said it's an Ingres DB I'm working with. Are the fundamentals the same?

Cheers