Question Unanswered: Replication monitor quesiton.

Is there a way to have SQL alert me when there is either a publisher or a subscriber conflict?

Currently I see under Replication Monitor Merge agents that show details of what is going on including any conflicts. What I want is to be able to set a trigger when either the publisher or the subscriber conflicts goes above zero. This trigger would then send out an E-mail (using BLAT..no Outlook on the SQL Server).

Is there a way to do this?

THANKS!

Mind if I thread along

I've been meaning to sort this one out myself when I get time.

It sure is a pain having to keep manually looking for conflicts

GW
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

Not at all.

I think I see a partial solution.

Under replication Monitor, it has Replication Alerts.

I added a new alert with:

Object: SQLServer:Replication Merge
    Counter: Conflicts/sec
    Instance: (choose one)
    Alert if counter: rises above
    Value: 0

Originally posted by GWilliy
    Mind if I thread along

I've been meaning to sort this one out myself when I get time.

It sure is a pain having to keep manually looking for conflicts

GW

Under replication Monitor, it has Replication Alerts
    Sorry I may be being stupid but I can't seem to find this

I'm using SQL2k - Merge Replication

GW
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

Oooops sorry

I found it under the Distributers Replication Monitor

Not the Group one that I added

Thx - I'll give it a try

GW

O Poo !!

Well I forced a conflict & it did'nt fire

does it work for you ?-(

GW

Re: Replication monitor quesiton.

Originally posted by darrinps
    Is there a way to have SQL alert me when there is either a publisher or a subscriber conflict?

Currently I see under Replication Monitor Merge agents that show details of what is going on including any conflicts. What I want is to be able to set a trigger when either the publisher or the subscriber conflicts goes above zero. This trigger would then send out an E-mail (using BLAT..no Outlook on the SQL Server).

Is there a way to do this?

THANKS!
    If there is a conflict then there is a conflict_<tablename> table in the database that is replicated. You can check if there is some info in the conflict table(s). If so, you can see what the conflict is
    I'm not sure if this works in SQL2000 but it works in SQL7

success, Mark.

Thx Mark

I have loads of empty system Conflict tables & new tables are created with the first letter incremented from a to b to c etc when conflicts occur.

I have a bad feeling about these & thats one of reasons I need something automating to alert me as soon as conflicts happen.

The closest I can think of doing this is writing a custom conflict resolver that just sends emails but there must be a better way !

GW

Originally posted by GWilliy
    O Poo !!

Well I forced a conflict & it did'nt fire

does it work for you ?-(

GW
    Haven't tried it yet. How did you force the conflict?

If this works, it would be a lot better than putting a trigger on every table!

Haven't tried it yet. How did you force the conflict?
    I use Terminal Services to connect roaming clients to Apps that are using Replicated Data - so it was quite easy to manually alter data on both sides at same time.

PCanywhere should work just as well.
    If this works, it would be a lot better than putting a trigger on every table!
    I did some custom Conflict resolvers last year & never implemented them fully - but setting em up was easy enough - It's just writing an SP for each article & assigning it in the publication properties.

But I'm not sure this is the best way to do alerts - I'm sure it would work though.

Plenty of info on Books Online