Thread: Key Violation

Unanswered: Key Violation

I am an amateur genealogist and I have designed a database project to help me kee track of cemetery listings and I am using Paradox 10. The project consits of two tables. The master table is for listing each of the cemeteries in my files with each cemetery have a unique id number. The second table is a Person Information Table with the information on each person in my files buried in those cemeteries. The Key field in Cemetery ID, the first field in both the Cemetery table and the person information table. My problem is that I have no problem entering info
    rmation on the first person, but when I try to enter the information on succeeding persons, using the same Cemetery ID number I get the error message that I have committed a key violation. Can someone help me? Thank you, Ray Holt

Re: Key Violation

Make in the second table 2 key fields - cemeteryID and personID (or PersonName). Combination of this two fields must be unique in the second table otherwise you get key violation. If you have the only key field in the second table - you cen enter only one person for each cemetery.

Smile

Thanks. It worked.

Thumbs up

"Key violation" simply means that there's already a record in the table with that exact primary-key value. Primary keys must be unique.
    The message, of course, is "programmer's babble." It made perfect sense to the programmer who wrote it.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com