Question Unanswered: DB2 7.2 Installation problem

I tried to install DB2 7.2 and FixPak 7 win2k with service pack 4 but failed. I chose typical installation and receive error in db2.log:

First install msg:
    creation of the SATCTLDHB database failed.
    Error during installation: C:\PROGRA~1\SQLLIB\bin\iwh2regi.exe 10 DWCTRLDB DWCTRLDB NULL IBM-1252 US : -1042.
    Error during installation: C:\PROGRA~1\SQLLIB\BIN\IWH2REGI.EXE 12 DWCTRLDB IWH db2admin ******** C:\PROGRA~1\sqllib\logging c:\progra~1\sqllib : 2009.
    Successfully started all DB2 automatic services

Applying FixPak 7 msg:
    The logging process for uninstall could not be started. Uninstall will not be able to fully remove DB2.
    Error during installation: C:\PROGRA~1\SQLLIB\bin\iwh2regi.exe 10 DWCTRLDB DWCTRLDB NULL IBM-1252 US : -1042.
    Error during installation: C:\PROGRA~1\SQLLIB\BIN\IWH2REGI.EXE 12 DWCTRLDB IWH db2admin ******** C:\PROGRA~1\sqllib\logging c:\progra~1\sqllib : 2009.
    Successfully started all DB2 automatic services

After installation, I cannot create sample database with First Step and get the message:
    Message "-8000" could not be retrieved. Reason code: "5".
    Message file inaccessible or incorrect.
    0024 Message file inaccessible or incorrect.
    0024 Cannot start database manager. rc \ -3, sqlcode = -8000

Please help! Thanks.
    Judy

You may have already done this properly, so please disregard if it does not apply to your installation:

Make sure that you first create a Windows Userid with 8 characters or less, and then give that userid Windows Administrator authority on that machine. If that machine is part of a Windows domain (connected to a domain with a Windows Primary Domain Controller), it must have domain administrator authority also (not 100% sure on this one though).

After you have created the proper userid, logoff and then logon onto Windows with the new userid and then install DB2. When prompted, use the same userid for the DB2 sysadm id and password.

If this is the problem, you should uninstall your current installation.

reply to marcus

My computer is connected to a network and I cannot create a domain user in admin group. Thus I have created a local admin user 'db2admin' on my computer to perform the installation.

But, failed as described earlier.

I didn't say "connected to a network" I said a member of a Windows Domain that is connected to a Primary Domain Controller. Check with your Windows network adminstratior if you are not sure. Not all networked Windows computers are connected to a Primary Domain Controller.

However, what I said previously about being a domain administrator was not 100% accurate.

Here are some rules for Windows Domains that someone else posted. Don't ask me to explain them:

A) If you are an administrator in the Windows Domain, you must also ensure that the id is a local administrator on the server where you are installing.

B) If you are, then verify also that you did not update the instance configuration file with an entry for the sysadm group.

C) If you have, you must ensure your id is in that group.

Also check out the Quick Beginnings for Windows Manual and review it.

As I mentioned, this may have nothing to do with the problem, and it could be something different.

When you first installed DB2 7.2, is that really 7.2 or is it possibly 7.1? Be sure to read the installation instructions completely. I would try to get the base code installed with the sample database before any fixpaks are isntalled.

I fixed the problem by setting system local inside regional options to English (United States)

Thanks