Unanswered: Beginner looking for help

Hi All,

I'm not very good at SQL but I want to finish my ASP project and have run into a little problem. I have a variable that I formatted represent a nice comma delimited character list with all "words" in single quotes ('A','B','C'). I was going to pass this variable to a SELECT statement -

SELECT col FROM table WHERE item IN (<my variable>)

Am I doing this right?

Thanks!

B

I don't think this will work. The IN clause will try to match all values of column ITEM with the complete string that your variable represents. There are a lot of ways to handle this, one would be to use dynamic SQL. What database are you working with ?

Another would be to use specific functions that allow to search for a character (pattern) within another string. Again, the solution will depend on your database.

Originally posted by cvandemaele
    I don't think this will work. The IN clause will try to match all values of column ITEM with the complete string that your variable represents. There are a lot of ways to handle this, one would be to use dynamic SQL. What database are you working with ?

Another would be to use specific functions that allow to search for a character (pattern) within another string. Again, the solution will depend on your database.
    Thanks. I learned the dynamic SQL way last night shortly after posing this.

I appreciate your resonse!