Unanswered: installing 8.1.7 on Win 2K

Hi,

the installer dies without any error message, when I try to set up 8.1.7 under Winows NT 5.0 SP3. I've tried playing with the JRE environment variable, to make it point to a newish Java installation. No joy. I have admin rights, etc.

There are many people with a similar complaint on the OTN forum. But since it relates to 8.1.7 which the vendor considers obsolete, no one from the firm is ever answering. This makes commercial sense.

I have the feeling the solution is to have a functioning Java-based Universal Installer OUI on my machine. Perhaps I could attempt the installer which comes with 9i. Being a newer release, the OUI is presumably Win2K-aware.

Did anyone try using a more recent OUI and point it to .\stage\products.jar on the 8.1.7 CD ? Is the 9i instalelr backward compatible with previous product descriptions ?

Andrew

Pentium 4 Bug??
    google for it . You have to rename a DLLs out of the Java env.

P4 bug ...

1. Copy the Oracle CD to the hard drive ... ie, c:\oracle ...

2. rename file symcjit.dll in

...\stage\components\oracle.swd.jre\1.1.7.3.0\1\da tafiles\expanded\jre\win32\bin

Run setup.exe from the hard drive and it wil work FINE....

HTH
    Gregg

thanks for everyone who replied. I've got meanwhile the hint about SYMCJIT.DLL.

In my case, there was also something else I had to fix. Being in a corporate enviroment, my PC was preconfigured with a 9i client, which was pointing to a read-only area. I had to go to the registry, and rename the "inst_loc" variable.

Now, I could install 8.1.7, but I've decided not to. At this stage, I only need SqlPlus which was missing from my 9i client. Rather than fighting the multiple-home syndrome, I just went home and burned onto a CD a preinstalled "\orant" file hierarchy for 8.1.7 client. I copied that hierarchy to my hard disk at the office. without changing anything in the registry Then, I created a small BAT file, which sets ORACLE_HOME, PATH and TNS_ADMIN and then invokes SqlPlus. Works like a charm, without interfering with anything else. Another BAT file brings up Toad.

It's good to know the 8.1.7 client can run without being known to the registry. Of course, more windows-specific components like OleDb would still require the registry.

Andrew