Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    66

    Unanswered: installing 8.1.7 on Win 2K

    Hi,

    the installer dies without any error message, when I try to set up 8.1.7 under Winows NT 5.0 SP3. I've tried playing with the JRE environment variable, to make it point to a newish Java installation. No joy. I have admin rights, etc.

    There are many people with a similar complaint on the OTN forum. But since it relates to 8.1.7 which the vendor considers obsolete, no one from the firm is ever answering. This makes commercial sense.

    I have the feeling the solution is to have a functioning Java-based Universal Installer OUI on my machine. Perhaps I could attempt the installer which comes with 9i. Being a newer release, the OUI is presumably Win2K-aware.

    Did anyone try using a more recent OUI and point it to .\stage\products.jar on the 8.1.7 CD ? Is the 9i instalelr backward compatible with previous product descriptions ?

    Andrew

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    833
    Pentium 4 Bug??
    google for it . You have to rename a DLLs out of the Java env.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC (USA)
    Posts
    1,155
    P4 bug ...

    1. Copy the Oracle CD to the hard drive ... ie, c:\oracle ...

    2. rename file symcjit.dll in

    ...\stage\components\oracle.swd.jre\1.1.7.3.0\1\da tafiles\expanded\jre\win32\bin

    Run setup.exe from the hard drive and it wil work FINE....

    HTH
    Gregg

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    66
    thanks for everyone who replied. I've got meanwhile the hint about SYMCJIT.DLL.

    In my case, there was also something else I had to fix. Being in a corporate enviroment, my PC was preconfigured with a 9i client, which was pointing to a read-only area. I had to go to the registry, and rename the "inst_loc" variable.

    Now, I could install 8.1.7, but I've decided not to. At this stage, I only need SqlPlus which was missing from my 9i client. Rather than fighting the multiple-home syndrome, I just went home and burned onto a CD a preinstalled "\orant" file hierarchy for 8.1.7 client. I copied that hierarchy to my hard disk at the office. without changing anything in the registry Then, I created a small BAT file, which sets ORACLE_HOME, PATH and TNS_ADMIN and then invokes SqlPlus. Works like a charm, without interfering with anything else. Another BAT file brings up Toad.

    It's good to know the 8.1.7 client can run without being known to the registry. Of course, more windows-specific components like OleDb would still require the registry.

    Andrew

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •