Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    1

    " Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for th

    Has anyone had encounter with the following message with WinXP?

    " Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

    I am a novice computer user. New PC; 6 months; installed all WinXP updates. . . Anytime I click on a desktop icon that was packaged with the WinXP Operating System, I get the captioned error. That is, I cannot open either My Computer, Internet Explorer, Recycle Bin, etc.; but Microsoft Office XP works and all the games work.

    Looking for a helpful response to this error. I have surf the web with no help. Someone suggested going into a "forum". So, I am a novice with this too.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,650

    Re: " Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for th

    Has happened on my XP a few times ..

    Don't know the reason( not strange ... M$'s error messages and logs hardly help), but restarting the machine has solved the problem(thank heavens for that)

    Sorry if I have not been of much help

    Sathyaram

    Originally posted by aen
    Has anyone had encounter with the following message with WinXP?

    " Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

    I am a novice computer user. New PC; 6 months; installed all WinXP updates. . . Anytime I click on a desktop icon that was packaged with the WinXP Operating System, I get the captioned error. That is, I cannot open either My Computer, Internet Explorer, Recycle Bin, etc.; but Microsoft Office XP works and all the games work.

    Looking for a helpful response to this error. I have surf the web with no help. Someone suggested going into a "forum". So, I am a novice with this too.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1
    I've had this error in some ways on different programs, i just bought Knights of the old Republic for pc, and when i played it after installing it was fine, but trying to play it anytime after i leave it, well, it says something along the lines of "Knights of the Old Reupublic has encountered a problem and needs to shut down", send error report, don't send", etc, and so basically i can't play KOTOR because as soon as i load the game thats what happens, ugh.

    It's happened with a few other programs too, namely internet explorer, a few times in winamp but not since i formatted yesterday on winamp.

    I hope somebody knows an answer as to how to fix this, it would greatly help both me and the original poster Aen.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2

    Question Similar problem

    I have had a similar issue lately. When I try to log onto Yahoo mail. I can get my user name and PW in and as soon as I hit "Submit" I get "Iexplore has encountered an error and will now close with a Close and an X buttun. Then I get bumped out. I have verified my critical updates are all present, but I am still having a problem.
    I would love any advise on this.
    For reference, i am running Win ME (I know) with IE6 sp1.
    Thank you,

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    47
    I recommend another browser. They always seem to be more reliable.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2

    same problem

    I'm having the same exact problem on my computer. I think I might have a virus. That might also be your problem. Microsoft.com told me to try to change the registry, but that didn't help, b/c i don't know what i need to change, and I'm a computer nerd, but I don't fix them.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2

    Re: same problem

    I solved my problem by downloading free software from the internet. -CWShredder- My home page kept switching to "Cool Web Search" and no matter how many times I changed it back to "My Yahoo", it kept changing back. Maybe it will help your problem also. here's a link....
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/cwshredder.html
    I found another guy that had the same problem on another board and he told me about that site. I think I am still going to reload my OS soon, but at least my girlfriend can check her mail now.
    Good luck !

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the help. That webpage is no longer good. I'll do a search for that software and try it. Thanks for your help.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    20,002
    if your home page keeps changing, you have spyware or an evil BHO

    get spybot search & destroy (free) from http://www.safer-networking.org/ or ad aware (free) from http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

    rudy
    http://r937.com/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    706
    "And needs to close... pardon me..."

    Geez, what a politically correct flower-speak they've put on the good ol' GPF message this year!

    What it means is: "Pardon me, but I seem to be dead and I need to go and bury myself now. I apologize for the inconvenience."
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hendersonville
    Posts
    2
    Happned to me also..However, all I did to fix it was make a new account name. Worked fine afterwords..

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3
    Originally posted by yourvB
    Happned to me also..However, all I did to fix it was make a new account name. Worked fine afterwords..
    What do you mean change account name, i'm getting the error for some windows xp pro machines but not all. I thought it was smart navigation, but it is to random. Any ideas?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1

    Smile Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close

    Adaware 6.0, free Lavasoft download fixed the problem for me.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1

    Post Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close

    If you have been finding no help with this problem regarding this error "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" you're not alone. I had this on my computer and couldn't find any fix posted relevent to my problem.

    Starting up in "Safe mode with Network support" seems to bypass this problem and IE fuctions normally. This leads me to believe that some third party program is causing the problem.

    * Here is the workaround i found that worked for me. Go to Control Panel, Internet options. Next, go to Advance Tab.
    Uncheck "Enable third party browser extension"
    Click OK *

    With Windows XP this worked right away for me, but you might have to restart computer. If you have multiple profiles setup on your computer, you will have to do this for each profile.

    I also noticed that my home page had been changed to res://nshp.dll/index.html#37049
    You can change this through the Control panel, Internet options as well.

    I would be interested to know if this homepage change happend to the rest of u as well. Id like to know whats causing this. The last software i loaded on my PC was StopZilla.

    Please let me know if this workaround works for any of u.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1

    Re: Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close

    DanceswithElves,

    thank you so much! I am now able to open any window i wish!

    Originally posted by DanceswithElves
    If you have been finding no help with this problem regarding this error "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" you're not alone. I had this on my computer and couldn't find any fix posted relevent to my problem.

    Starting up in "Safe mode with Network support" seems to bypass this problem and IE fuctions normally. This leads me to believe that some third party program is causing the problem.

    * Here is the workaround i found that worked for me. Go to Control Panel, Internet options. Next, go to Advance Tab.
    Uncheck "Enable third party browser extension"
    Click OK *

    With Windows XP this worked right away for me, but you might have to restart computer. If you have multiple profiles setup on your computer, you will have to do this for each profile.

    I also noticed that my home page had been changed to res://nshp.dll/index.html#37049
    You can change this through the Control panel, Internet options as well.

    I would be interested to know if this homepage change happend to the rest of u as well. Id like to know whats causing this. The last software i loaded on my PC was StopZilla.

    Please let me know if this workaround works for any of u.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •