Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Internet Explorer has encountered a problem...

Friends,
    If u are getting the error message "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem...." do try the following step

click on start -run-regedit-ok..u get the Registry Editor
    click on the +sign next to each of the keys
    +Hkey_local_machine
    +software
    +microsoft
    +windows
    +current version
    +explorer
    then RIGHT click on" Browser helper object "& click DELETE// click on YES when prompted..
    exit out of registry editor..
    try using IE & it should work fine

Originally posted by fireblade_freak
    I to have had the same error in IE6 with Windows XP and will try the fix posted above by Danceswithelves. As for the suggestions for using a new explorer try this out www.mozilla.org/products/firebird

I have not tried it myself yet but am gonna install it later today and try it. I have read all the speal and it sounds bloody good.

Hope this helps a little

Ed
    Every time someone mentions an IE issue, someone else always mentions the use "Mozilla" issue.

Thumbs up Re: " Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for th

Uncheck the option "Enable Third party Browser extensions" in the advanced tab of internet options.

Smile Re: Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close

This worked for me as well. Thanks very much
    Originally posted by DanceswithElves
    If you have been finding no help with this problem regarding this error "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" you're not alone. I had this on my computer and couldn't find any fix posted relevent to my problem.

Starting up in "Safe mode with Network support" seems to bypass this problem and IE fuctions normally. This leads me to believe that some third party program is causing the problem.

* Here is the workaround i found that worked for me. Go to Control Panel, Internet options. Next, go to Advance Tab.
    Uncheck "Enable third party browser extension"
    Click OK *

With Windows XP this worked right away for me, but you might have to restart computer. If you have multiple profiles setup on your computer, you will have to do this for each profile.

I also noticed that my home page had been changed to res://nshp.dll/index.html#37049
    You can change this through the Control panel, Internet options as well.

I would be interested to know if this homepage change happend to the rest of u as well. Id like to know whats causing this. The last software i loaded on my PC was StopZilla.

Please let me know if this workaround works for any of u.

Thumbs up Re: Internet Explorer has encountered a problem...

WOOOOOOOW....NOW I CAN OPEN IE FILES WITHOUT HAVING ERROR...

I've tried so many things like....

My default IE home page changed to search page everytime when I open IE.
    I thought it may be virus then I scan my PC by norton..when I found trojan virus in my pc, I cleaned that by following this url instructions... http://securityresponse.symantec.com...er.trojan.html

But still I was not able to open IE files and having error again and again. Then I download Spybot and clean all infected registry. But problem was still there.

Then I uncheck "Enable third party browser extension" Restart again

but nothing worked.....

BUT THEN I DID WHAT U SAID AND ITS LIKE A MIRACLE 4 ME. NOW I CAN DO MY WEB DEVELOPING AGAIN. THANKS A LOT. I AM NOT GETTING THAT ERROR AGAIN. I CAN OPEN IE FILES WITHOUT HAVING ERROR. U R GR8. THANKS 4 UR USEFULL SOLUTION.

-------------------------------------

Originally posted by deepak lahiri
    Friends,
    If u are getting the error message "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem...." do try the following step

click on start -run-regedit-ok..u get the Registry Editor
    click on the +sign next to each of the keys
    +Hkey_local_machine
    +software
    +microsoft
    +windows
    +current version
    +explorer
    then RIGHT click on" Browser helper object "& click DELETE// click on YES when prompted..
    exit out of registry editor..
    try using IE & it should work fine

Worked for me -- but be careful

It turns out that some Browser Helper Objects are useful and are installed by programs you might want to use. Instead of deleting the entire section of Browser Helper Objects, check each object individually at this site. http://sysinfo.org/bholist.php

Delete only the entries that have a status of X. Those that have a status of L are legitimate. It worked for me.

THANKS!!!

Amaizing

I have spent hours trying different spyware programs, virus removals, system restores, system re-installs, manual msconfig modifications, regedit, you name it, I had tried it.

I'm using XP pro and my IE works fine, but the Windows Explorer which is obviously built using IE, would not work. I could not get into My Computer, Control Panel, Network Places, Nothing...

It was as simple as DancingWithElves solution. Disable 3rd party... in IE.

All spyware authors should rot in hell!!!!!!!!

BETWEEN PALM SPRINGS AND RIVERSIDE, SOCAL

Exclamation about that "third party" part....

comic sans I had the third party empowered all the time, and even yet I still get the same error mssg. Still confused.

Internet Explorer needs to shut down Win98

I am getting the error message internet explorer needs to shut down whenever I try to login to a site. I have read the replies to that message, but I am running windows 98 and none of them seem to work on windows 98. I do not have the option of removing internet explorer from the add/remove programs button. I have downloaded another browser, but there are some sites that I need internet explorer in order to access. The problem started when I received an email message from regsott.com saying I purchased a new computer and my credit card was being charged. After than a program fiks.exe appeared on my desktop. It even had a little spy camera in the icon. Whatever happened also disabled outlook express. I have run different spy detectors and virus scanners such as ad-aware. None removed the fiks.exe files, so eventually I just removed them. I haven't been able to find any information on this. Can anyone help me get internet explorer and outlook express working again?

Thanks in advance.

Thumbs up Thank you

Thank you sooooo much!!! I kept getting "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" message whenever I'm browsing a webpage.

I followed ur advice in your post and it worked for me right away. I have been experiencing the same problem for 2 weeks now. I have all my service packs installed, I've checked Microsoft's website and I even called Microsoft support which was no help what so ever!

I don't know what caused this but I can tell you that I started to experience problems when i uninstalled the yahoo toolbar but even after reinstalling it the problems continued.

Thanks Again DanceswithElves!

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithElves
    If you have been finding no help with this problem regarding this error "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" you're not alone. I had this on my computer and couldn't find any fix posted relevent to my problem.

Starting up in "Safe mode with Network support" seems to bypass this problem and IE fuctions normally. This leads me to believe that some third party program is causing the problem.

* Here is the workaround i found that worked for me. Go to Control Panel, Internet options. Next, go to Advance Tab.
    Click OK *

With Windows XP this worked right away for me, but you might have to restart computer. If you have multiple profiles setup on your computer, you will have to do this for each profile.

I also noticed that my home page had been changed to res://nshp.dll/index.html#37049
    You can change this through the Control panel, Internet options as well.

I would be interested to know if this homepage change happend to the rest of u as well. Id like to know whats causing this. The last software i loaded on my PC was StopZilla.

Please let me know if this workaround works for any of u.

Of cource the final solution to fix iexplorers problems is to go to

www.mozilla.org/firefox

The browser is faster, more secure, and MUCH less buggy, and FREE. Iexplorer is a bloated pig and shouldn't be used for anything that can be avoided.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Quote Originally Posted by armand66
    I've had this error in some ways on different programs, i just bought Knights of the old Republic for pc, and when i played it after installing it was fine, but trying to play it anytime after i leave it, well, it says something along the lines of "Knights of the Old Reupublic has encountered a problem and needs to shut down", send error report, don't send", etc, and so basically i can't play KOTOR because as soon as i load the game thats what happens, ugh.

It's happened with a few other programs too, namely internet explorer, a few times in winamp but not since i formatted yesterday on winamp.

I hope somebody knows an answer as to how to fix this, it would greatly help both me and the original poster Aen.
    This error is just like the old Dr. Watson Access Violations.

Your problem is probably your Direct X driver version, your Graphics card drivers (update them), or the KOTOR version (go to fileshack.com and update that there). Also, make sure that your Graphics card is "approved".

Worked fine, except that now my Google and Yahoo toolbars are gone. Did yours dissappear?
    I unchecked "enable third party browser extensions" also, and got the same result. My best guess is that the computer recognizes these toolbars as third party browser extensions, and therefore does not allow them. As far as I can see, there is no solution. If you ever find out how to fix it, tell me!

It's not suposed to be checked, it's suposed to be UNCHECKED!

Thumbs up Thanx!

Click OK *
    This worked great for me, but it did disable my AIM and Yahoo toolbars. I have an idea that maybe if I update AIM it might reinstall the toolbars, but I haven't tried it. Hope I can remember . THANX!