Thread: Recover HUGE DB

Unanswered: Recover HUGE DB

Hi..

As a relative novice at disaster recovery, I have recently inherited a massive DB as a new member to an IT co. of approximate 50Gb, and the sql server took a dive, unfortunately due to the size, there has been no backups (broken rule 1,2,3...99), like I say inherited

The sql start-up reports the DB as recovering; however no disc or cpu usage suggest its not doing much, its been left for 3 days to recover and appears to have failed; no errors in logs, I have various MDF files and LDF files no NDFs, suggests its happened before.

I have a small box being assembled which I will transfer all the MDF/LDF files to, with SQL server 2000 on, The original is only SQL 7.

I need the quickest way to get the DB as close to active on the dummy box to extract some of the SPs, not so bothered with the data, the actual SQL server appears damaged, as it will not allow creation of DBs complains about exclusive access to the model db (original)?

Many Thanks in advance

Chris

Howdy

You can try attaching the MDF file to the new box.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

SG

Originally posted by sqlguy7777
    Howdy

You can try attaching the MDF file to the new box.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

SG
    Yep,

I had to copy the MDF, LDF files to a NAS storage unit (it took 5 hrs, darn thing), i destroyed the instance of SQL by removing it completely, i re applied windows NT4 sp5 and Re-Installed Sql 7, however the db file would not reattach; it just kept going, never stopped i left it two days to try, but gave up when the processor usage tailled off.
    I gave up on Sql 7 and built a machine with windows 2k and Sql 2000 on attached the database as a single file (without logs) and had to DTS all the data and SPs, back to the original server which i had rebuilt,
    I have a lot more faith now in 2000 than 7, however this was a really slow turnaround.