Unanswered: sybase temp table names

I'm struggling to write a query to produce the names of the temp table that are created in my database.

I can name a temp table with, let's say, 20 characters, #my_sybase_temp_table. When I query on the tempdb..sysobjects table(type='U'), the name appears to be truncated to roughly 12 positions, and then a set of numbers is concatinated to the end.

Does anyone out there have the "magical" query that will return the full table name?

Thanks,
    Scott

Re: sybase temp table names

Hi there,

there doesnt seem to be any apparent way to do so as Sybase assigns
    active spid and other internal codes to temp table name , if you want to just access it and dont care abt table name u can refer to object_id column of sysobjects

Originally posted by ScottW
    I'm struggling to write a query to produce the names of the temp table that are created in my database.

I can name a temp table with, let's say, 20 characters, #my_sybase_temp_table. When I query on the tempdb..sysobjects table(type='U'), the name appears to be truncated to roughly 12 positions, and then a set of numbers is concatinated to the end.

Does anyone out there have the "magical" query that will return the full table name?

Thanks,
    Scott

Temp tables disappear after the batch is finished and isn't meant to be accessed "from the outside". In fact, I think it's impossible.

Normal tables in tempdb is another matter. If you need to share data between your batches, create a normal table in tempdb and access it like any other table, only with tempdb.. prepended to the name.

>I can name a temp table with, let's say, 20 characters, >#my_sybase_temp_table. When I query on the tempdb..sysobjects >table(type='U'), the name appears to be truncated to roughly 12 >positions, and then a set of numbers is concatinated to the end.

The max limit for name is 30 chars. For temp table, some internal code is generated for the name in sysobjects. So, you may end up with different name depending on the length of the orginal name you've input:
    e.g.
    a) create table #1234567890 (c1 int)

#1234567890__00000150010378724

b) create table #12345678901234567890 (c1 int)

As far I know, only the first 13 char (including '#') is allocated for the name and any thing more than that is truncated. If you enter a name that is less than that, the '_' char is used to fill up the remaining.
    The next 2 chars represents something I not too sure.
    The next 5 chars contains the spid as seen in sp_who.
    The remaining, I guess is some time stamp.

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses. This confirms what I was finding.