Question Unanswered: ODBC - Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to set up an ODBC connection to a server that's on a different subnet mask? As an example, I am located at 177.17.100.*** and I want to connect to 177.17.20.***. I can ping the address and eveything else, I just can't connect via the ODBC. The start line = c:\MICROS\Database\Sybase\Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0\win32\DbCli6.exe -x TCPIP{host=177.17.20.***} Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Dave

Re: ODBC - Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0

Originally posted by djay
    The start line = c:\MICROS\Database\Sybase\Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0\win32\DbCli6.exe -x TCPIP{host=177.17.20.***} Am I missing something?
    What is DbCli6.exe?

Try dbping utilty first using the host and port numbers.

Thanks for the response. The DbCli6.exe is the client service that runs. It does work for local Sybase servers, but like I said, I can't get it working for anything on our network, just different subnets. What is the syntax for dbping? dbping 177.17.20.XXX 2638 or something? I know the lsitening port for our Sybase server is 2638...

Thanks again,
    D

Thanks for the response. The DbCli6.exe is the client service that runs. It does work for local Sybase servers, but like I said, I can't get it working for anything on our network, just different subnets. What is the syntax for dbping? dbping 177.17.20.XXX 2638 or something? I know the lsitening port for our Sybase server is 2638...

Thanks again,
    D
    D:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 8\win32>dbping -c "eng=asademo;CommLinks=tcp(HOST=177.17.20.XXX;PORT =2638)"
    Adaptive Server Anywhere Server Ping Utility Version 8.0.2.4229
    Ping server successful.

hey willy, how do i know what the "eng" equals? sorry for so many syupid questions, i've worked with SQL my whole life...
    Dave

I finally pinged it! That's good news. I get the error stating that the database isn't running when I go to verify the ODBC connection. Could this be a latency problem? If so, how would I correct it?

Thanks!
    ~D

I finally pinged it! That's good news. I get the error stating that the database isn't running when I go to verify the ODBC connection. Could this be a latency problem? If so, how would I correct it?

Thanks!
    ~D
    You could try pinging the database
    D:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 8\win32>dbping -d -c "eng=ianywhere8;dbn=asademo;CommLinks=tcp(HOST=177 .17.20.XXX;PORT=2638)"

here the server instance name is "ianywhere8" and the database that I'm trying to ping is "asademo".

Remember in your case the server instance name and the database names are different.