Unanswered: Log reader agent randomly fails

Hi,

I have setup replication where one box has the publisher and one is the distributer and the subscriber. There are 2 databases being replicated with transactional replication.

The problem I have is that both of the Log Reader agents fail (about 15 times in a day). When I start the agents manually, everything resumes to normal and all transactions are applied. The only msg I get when one of the agents fails is:

"The step did not generate any output. The step failed.".

I have enabled the agent to create an output file and log everything (-outputverboselevel 2) and all I get on the distributor/subscriber box is the following:

Disconnecting from Publisher 'SERVERPUB'"

where SERVERPUB in the publisher server on the same DMZ.

Your help will be very appreciated

Sas

Howdy

Are you using a domain account or local account to run the agent?

SG

Hi,

The machines are in a workgroup. I have created a windows account with admin. priviledges. The account has "log on as a service" and "act as the operating system" priviledges. This account are on the 2 boxes (Publisher and distr./subsc.).

So the MSSQLSERVER and SQLSERGERAGENT services are running under that user account. Now the owner of the Log Reader job (in "Log Reader Properties...") is a user called "distributor_admin".

Thanks for your help,

Sas

Howdy

If you use push or pull subscriptions, dont forget you need to ensure that wherever the subscription is being pushed to , you need to ensure the subscription knows an account on the box being pushed to.....replication security is not a trivial thing to sort out....

The trick is that the services will run fine, where most people come unstuck is undertsanding that pushing a subscription ( or pulling ) is no different to a file copy and is on a resource that requires a logon to retrieve it.

I'd suggest either trying using anonymous subscriptions, or setting up a domain account for subscriptions and using that.

I had to move replication from one box to another once...not for the faint hearted.....

Cheers,

SG.