Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unanswered: some paradox 7 questions

we have an application that is built using paradox scripts and tables and forms, and I wondered if it was possible to do the following:
    turn off the paradox standard menus so that when the product opens, there aren't any of the paradox menus visible at top or bottom - I know that you can do this once you enter the product, but is it possible to put a switch in the shortcut or alter a file that permanently disables this? Right now our current solution is to place a manufactured grey bar over the paradox stuff but this looks like crap under windows xp.

I also wondered if it was possible to run paradox scripts and alter tables without opening up the paradox gui (i.e., in terms of updating things, etc.,) thanks for your input!

You can hide standart toolbar by using hideToolBar() method. And hide all the rest toolbars permanently by clicking mouse right button on it (also status bar at the bottom of the screen). It is possible to hide main menu of the Paradox by using AddArray() method of Menu type in your form open method. See example for AddArray() in Paradox Help and use empty array value in it.

thanks,
    I do have another question, this one about licensing issues. Is paradox 7 even supported anymore? i.e., I don't believe they sell new licenses for it, it is not possible to purchase it, what is the legal status of the software at this point, i.e., if I was interested in distributing it as part of a program what are the requirements for Paradox 7 any more?
    Thanks much in advance

RunTime is what you need!

It's no problem - distribute your software with Paradox RunTime. You can't develop applications in the RunTime, but you can execute forms, scripts, report, QBE etc... You can get it free (and distribute it free) from Corel ftp site. I am not sure about 7th version, but 9th can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/Paradox/paradox9/ (Don't forget service pack for it)

sergey,
    thanks for the reply! that looks like that might well do the trick. Do you happen to know what the restrictions are, i.e., what you can't do in the runtime environment, that you can do in the full version of paradox?
    Thanks very much!

Mostly you cannot enter the design environment or do most of the interactive stuff you can do with the full version (i.e. it will not allow you to open/create db tables interactively or create/run raw queries). You can only really run forms, reports and scripts and not make changes to them. Since the functionality your user needs should be built into the forms and scripts you write, this should not be a problem.

is the run time capable of calling/reading paradox libraries? Also, and this runs into a bit more techincal question specifically regarding this application: I'm attempting to run our app using the runtime, but I keep receiving an error message as the app is opening, i.e.,
    "unable to open FORMNAME main menu"
    I'm not really certain where to start trouble shooting this as there isn't any more information on the message, just wondering if users have encountered something similar (btw, these scripts and tables, and etc., have been made in pdox 4-7).
    Thanks much, everyone's been quite helpful
    (guess I should specify that I'm trying to use the pdox 10 runtime)

The answer to your question is: Yes, it can access libraries.

Your problem is probably with your call to open the form, and I suspect that an alias is to blame. Without seeing more code I am shooting in the dark, but (depending on how you declare your aliases) if you are not loading the correct idapi file you will only get some default aliases. Therefore a call to form.open(":myAlias:myForm.fdl") would fail. Another possiblilty is that you do not have rights to the folder where the form is located, especially if you are using XP.

If the application is started from a script, let's see the code.

lmckelvy, thanks for the advice, I actually got it running without a problem using the pdox9 runtime instead of the pdox 10 runtime. I was curious though (forgive me here b/c I am definetly a newb in this), how one sets the netdir files and things of that nature.
    thanks much!

The netdir is set using the BDE Administrator (should be in the Borland Folder under Program files) and this setting is then stored in the IDAPI.CFG (or IDAPI32.CFG) file. As long as all PCs are pointed to the same netdir in their IDAPI file then they will all know where it is located.

When you open the BDEAdmin, the IDAPI file being used is shown in the title bar along with its path. Some people (including me) save the IDAPI file to the network and load it using a command-line argument when Paradox is launched. This way everyone is using the same settings and global changes can be made to the overall configuration, public aliases etc ... with a modification of only a single IDAPI file.

thanks much for your replies!
    lmckelvy, any chance you care to elaborate on your use of a network idapi.cfg file? (this is of significant interest to me). Also, I'm in the process of attempting to identify if going from paradox 7 to 9 will cause portions of our application to break. Without getting into too much detail, are there any inherent changes/bug fixes from 7 - 9 that might cause code that worked in 7 to no longer function in 9 (specifically the runtime environment)? thanks again for all the input!

I don't know of any specific problems moving from 7 to 9, but I know that 10 supposedly fixed some of the printing problems that had been hanging about so you might consider going straight to 10.

About the network IDAPI file. Again, this is how I do it, many people do it other ways. I am in a closed environment where I can control how things get set up and used (about 250 users).

I'm not sure exactly how you want me to elaborate, but here goes:

1. Find a place on the network that every workstation can see. Let's call it M:\IDAPI_dir\ for convenience. It can be the same place you will specify as NETDIR if you like.

2. Make a copy of the IDAPI file you used to create the application and place it in the M:\IDAPI_dir directory.

3. Open the BDE Administrator and choose the 'Open Configuation' menu option to open M:\IDAPI_dir\IDAPI.cfg file (or IDAPI32.cfg). Click the Configuation tab, go to Drivers->Native, click Paradox and change the NETDIR settings to be M:\IDAPI_dir

4. Close the BDE Admin program and you will be prompted to save your changes and asked if you want to use the M:\IDAPI_dir\IDAPI.CFG file as your default configuation. Unless you want your copy of Paradox to use that IDAPI file when it starts tell it 'NO'.

5. Now when you set up each workstation, all you have to do is make a shortcut with a command-line like this (the paths may be different on your box and I went ahead and added the start-up script because that's how I do things):

"C:\Program Files\Corel\Paradox 9 Runtime\Programs\PDXRWN32.exe" -q -o "m:\idapi_dir\idapi.cfg" L:\PDox\MyApplication\Startup.ssl

6. As long as you have a network connection and the workstations have rights to that directory, they will launch runtime using the 'communuity' IDAPI file. They will all be using the same NETDIR, format settings, and aliases.

7. If you have to move the application in the future - or add an alias, you can simply open Paradox using the 'community' IDAPI file, go to your Alias Manager, change your aliases to point to the new location, then say 'Yes' when it asks if you want to save changes to M:\IDAPI_dir\IDAPI.cfg. Then each of the workstations will automatically know about the change.

Hope this helps.

Mac

thanks mac,
    I'd forgotten about this thread for awhile
    I have a few more questions (as it seems that I'm being thrown more and more maintenance stuff on this code that we have).
    2 more questions:
    a) is it possible to have paradox/paradox work space open to fit the size of the form it is opening? e.g., we have a main fsl that is the primary interface to this program and I was wondering if it would be possible to have paradox open set to the size of that form so that the form isn't floating in the middle of the workspace.
    b) in reference to one of my initial questions at the beginning of this thread: is it at all possible to run a paradox script w/o opening up the gui? It would be bloody fantastic if there was some way of doing this - mainly the script would be updating some tables, etc., etc.,

Thanks much!!!

nuts, I really just wanted to edit the above post.
    I've been reading about the bde local share = true setting,
    I'm curious if this is something that might be helpful to us here. Currently, the way things are set up, every user has their own copy of paradox and their bde netdir settings all point to the same pdoxusers.net file, an ini file is used to point all users to the same db directory somewhere on the network. Currently we have local share set to FALSE, just wondering if it is advantageous to have this set to true? thanks much!

Well there's no way I know of to do that, unless the size of your form is the size of the 'normal' (non-maximized) window.

If you do this in the init method of the main form you can customize the look of things:

Var
    Ap Application
    frm form
    EndVar

Ap.SetTitle("My Cool Title")
    Ap.maximize() ; optional
    frm.attach()
    frm.setIcon(":myIconFolderAlias:myIcon.ico")

This will give your outer window the title and icon you want, instead of the Paradox icon and 'Paradox'.

You can run Paradox minimized using the correct command-line argument. Just make sure to call the exit() command at the end of the script. Here is an example of a command line (the -m switch is what does it):

"C:\Program Files\Corel\Paradox 9 Runtime\Programs\PDXRWN32.exe" -m "c:\myScripts\Maint.ssl"

Hope this helps.